banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instrument Wireless. What's everyone using these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument Wireless. What's everyone using these days?

As the title reads, what's everyone using these days? I haven't had a wireless in nearly 4 years. Technology changes a lot in that amount of time. I've got my eye on the Shure GLXD16, the Line6 G50 and the Sennheiser XSW-D. I need it to be solid. Recommendations?

XVive U2 system. $150 for the system. No hip pack, just a plug-in receiver and a plug-in transmitter. Can't say that it's as road-worthy as the name brands, but I used it on several gigs & rehearsals right before Covid squashed everything and had a blast walking through the crowd and playing at the same time. Never had a signal loss. Still use it occasionally at home now 2 years after purchasing. Reviews seem to be mostly positive upon a casual Google search. It's worth considering, at least.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Shure GLXD16, if you play live regularly, prefer a hip pack setup and have the cash for it. Line 6 wireless systems seem to be hit and miss, so I'd stay clear. Sennheiser was my first wireless system, was a good one too, and the XSW-D, but I'm going with Shure as soon as I get my tax return, both for reliabiity and the fact that I prefer a hip pack to a plug in solution.

Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I have a couple of G10 systems. One regular and one G10S.

They sound fine and offered reasonable range for the first few years, but ever since I switched to a mesh network for my home WiFi, I've had droput problems, even standing in the same room, with direct line-of-sight between transmitter and receiver. They're supposed to be able to sniff out interference and switch to an open channel, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I am using the Boss WL-20, which works well. A charge lasts about 3.5 hours, so as long as I charge it before the show, I am good.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I still have my Shure PGX4, although it has not seen much use in the past 2 years. It does not travel well due to the locale specific frequencies, so I can't recommend it these days.

This is about the only forum I have not seen the PSA on, but the Line 6 G10 and some other models had an overheating issue. It was corrected with a firmware update and it was only needed on those manufactured before March 2020. Any of them newer than that should be golden.
            Last edited by JamesPaul; 05-12-2021, 09:25 PM. Reason: Added Line 6 PSA
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Shure Glxd systems, I was using the line 6 g50, but it didn’t automatically scan a new channel if there was interference and it ate batteries. The shure lasts forever on a rechargeable battery. Like 15 hours or more.

Comment

Ive had the G-50 several years.
                Never had an issue and works great.

Comment

Sennheiser has always done well for me.
                  The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

My wife got me this for X-mas a couple years ago. Works good, sounds good. Then again, I'm not a performing musician.

Comment

I have a Nady system that is bulky and such

like Artie I got one of these last year and it is much more handy

EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Gives me a few more options to chew on.

Comment

Line 6 G30, like it and no dropout. Using rechargeable EBL AA batteries, good for 4-5 hours.

Comment

I'm waiting on a response back from Sennheiser about the XSW 2-Cl1 vs. the XSW 1-Cl1. A few sound guys I've talked with have recommended Sennheiser very heavily, followed by the Shure GLXD16.

Comment

Working...
                            X