banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are $8K to $10K CS Les Paul's really necessary ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are $8K to $10K CS Les Paul's really necessary ?

... or can you get the same tone out of a $2K Les Paul ?
    Are $8000 dollar LP's just nice "lumber" to gawk at ?

They're completely necessary. You should probably trash whatever you have and start saving.

I think the incoming responses will indicate that you can get great tone out of a $300 Epiphone and terrible tone out of a $8000 Custom Shop masterpiece.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Of course they're not necessary lol. They probably sound good tho and there's a market for them.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Well, you could equally take a Kia out to an open track day as a Ferrari. It certainly wouldn't be necessary to have the faster car, and you could equally push each car to the limits of its ability. But the two would not offer the exact same experience. If you were after ultimate speed, the Kia would hardly suffice.

Although guitars and cars are not really a like for like example, there is some truth to the fact that the chassis on a $2000 production line Gibson is not the same as the most exclusive reissue. If your personal preference was for the experience or tone the reissue offers, even with the identical hardware it is probably the cheaper would not quite get there.
        But as we all know, guitars are unique as personal playing style. Even someone who thinks they might only like what the top of the range model can do, a cheapie can surprise quite often.

And lets not forget the psychological aspect - the 'red bull gives you wings' aspect. A muse has a powerful affect on artistry.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          Well, you could equally take a Kia out to an open track day as a Ferrari. It certainly wouldn't be necessary to have the faster car, and you could equally push each car to the limits of its ability. But the two would not offer the exact same experience. If you were after ultimate speed, the Kia would hardly suffice.

Although guitars and cars are not really a like for like example, there is some truth to the fact that the chassis on a $2000 production line Gibson is not the same as the most exclusive reissue. If your personal preference was for the experience or tone the reissue offers, even with the identical hardware it is probably the cheaper would not quite get there.
          But as we all know, guitars are unique as personal playing style. Even someone who thinks they might only like what the top of the range model can do, a cheapie can surprise quite often.

And lets not forget the psychological aspect - the 'red bull gives you wings' aspect. A muse has a powerful affect on artistry.
          In my 20's or 30's i might be inclined to agree but at almost 60 having played a ton im not so sure.

Comment

Of course they're necessary - Gibson's just keeping up with the $10K masterbuilt Strats...
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

In my opinion no but they sell so who cares about my opinion. I am also of the opinion they play and feel good but not say $7000 better than cheaper l.p style guitars.

Comment

I say tone-wise no!

But I would sure like to have a LP with a nice top in that Cobalt Burst. I wouldn't mind having a Johnny A. model in the same. You know Gibson will nick me for those colors.
                I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                  Nice try - but a swing and a miss. The REAL question is can I take something cheaper, and go 180mph around the track. A Kawasaki Ninja will do just that at a fraction of the price. Now, your @$$ will not be swaddled in rich Corinthian leather (more likely you are wearing armor-hide leathers), and you don't get a cool lion keychain to show your friends - but yes - it performs the same and is a lot cheaper.

If your personal preference was for the experience or tone the reissue offers, even with the identical hardware it is probably the cheaper would not quite get there.
                  And, if you used your ears and hands, in a blind test, you would probably find that out of ten random Gibsons that the most expensive was never the best, the one that sounded the best, or the one that gave you the best "experience"

Good tone is where you find it. Overall, a $2k Gibson is better than a $400 Epiphone. But a $8k Gibson is better than a $2k Gibson? Nah. That's just pride talking. If you have not played a few Epiphone Elitists - then hush child! Those guitars were EVERY bit as good as any Gibson Custom I ever picked up and only $1k. In fact - they were SO good they stopped making the Slash model. Guess why? Yep - not a damn bit of difference between then and the Gibson one. Well, the headstock was different, maybe the QA on the Epiphone was better!

I actually OWN an $8k Gibson CS, as well as real 73 and 79's that were Plain Jane Standards. One has a SuperD and the other has A Duncan Distortion. The ONLY difference is the pickups. They all play fantastic. And for the record - the nut on my 79 was cut badly of spacing. Not so bad it needed replaced - but it was visually obvious. But the 73 and the Frehley, with SuperD's? You couldn't tell the difference between the two consistently at all. They play the same, feel the same, and sound the same, except for the pickup in the 79 (and a dinged fret). That and the neck feels different because the finish is worn off.

Might they sound different? Of course. And again, in the blind test you might find th stock y2k Les Paul is actually BETTER in terms of some minute bit-o-tone or feel or whatever.

The only thing "Getting you there" is knowing that it is a Gibson and stupid expensive, if you are honest with yourself.
                  Last edited by Aceman; 05-18-2021, 08:40 PM.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                    In my opinion no but they sell so who cares about my opinion. I am also of the opinion they play and feel good but not say $7000 better than cheaper l.p style guitars.
                    Amen. Those things are made to make money. There is likely not $200 in parts and labor difference.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

one plays an expensive guitar differently than a more affordable one
                      just like the different shapes

are you really gonna warp the neck on that 10K CS LP?
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The cheaper LPs are all chambered/weight relieved. The custom shop don't butcher their bodies. That's one big difference.

Comment

there's always a point of diminishing returns on guitars. once you get up to the $10k Les Paul, you aren't paying for better tone. Beautifully flamed maple tops, aged finishes, artist fees, fancy case candy, and limited runs don't make guitars sound better, but they do make them more expensive.
                          Quality riffs in about a minute...
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                            The cheaper LPs are all chambered/weight relieved. The custom shop don't butcher their bodies. That's one big difference.
                            Heritage Series (R8s & R9s, etc) are non-weight-relieved, and they too have the long-tenon neck joint.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Necessary? No.

Were I rich, would I get one? Probably.
                              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
                              X