Tremol-no users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremol-no users?

Intrigued by the Tremol-no. Any users out there happy with theirs?

Seems great, at face value, to be able to lock and float one's tremolo on the fly. But most of the reviews I've found have people simply using one mode - drop only or blocked - so of course it works great for that. I wouldn't want to do this, I'd want to swap about willy-nilly. Curious if the tuning changes as you swap locking modes.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

have made some of these in the shop

I like these Trem setter versions

these Tremolo No look far more complicated

EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

It's a fun idea, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

I installed it on a Charvel So Cal with a floating Floyd strung with 10-52s in standard tuning. I ran into a few problems that eventually led to me junking it:

- Even fully screwed down (using either the thumb screws or small hex screws that are also supplied) when tension is removed from the strings, the trem will slide along the shaft cause scratches/deformation as well as going out of tune. Definately can't do any sort of lower tuning (at least I couldn't).
      - This issue was particularly bad when trying to set the floyd up as dive only. Doing a dive and then quickly letting the trem come to position would always cause slippage and the whole system would go out of tune.
      - Over time, the scratches/deformation add up to friction in the system and your floyd won't return to a reliable zero point causing tuning issues
      - Heavy trem use (especially pulling notes sharp) will occasionally cause the pin that fits into the trem block to pop out.
      - Flutter is not happening with this thing installed (if you're into that).

It's well made, and the company is decent to work with (the tiny allen keys it came with were misshapen and didn't work out of the box, so I emailed them and they sent me a new set with no hassle right after purchasing). But the above issues were just too much of a pain in the ass. It was sold as having a hard tail + a dive only + a regular Floyd and didn't really live up to billing.

If you only use your trem sparingly and lightly, and want to be able to occasionally lock things down to bend one note while pedaling another without pulling it flat it works great. But also know that it'll fail on you if you use it regularly.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yeah, I kind of figured that if it was as good as advertised, it'd be stock in floating tremolo guitars. The Tremsetters and the like do work well for stabilizing the trem.
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

the trem stop that I linked work well
          kinda like a decked trem , wont go up

the trem setter that I linked look like they would be similar but allow some up pull
          EHD

Comment

Ibanez had a dual Tremsetter a long time ago that Vai still uses on his white Jems. I wonder why it’s out of production.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I don't think that I really see the usefulness. I would rather have a properly functioning free floated bridge on a guitar and a fixed bridge on a different guitar. I can't ever really see being able to switch between modes on the fly while playing anything fast.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                Ibanez had a dual Tremsetter a long time ago that Vai still uses on his white Jems. I wonder why it’s out of production.
                the ones i linked are direct copies of the Ibanez

ESP has a version as well
                EHD

Comment

Why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought a guitar with a Tremol-no in it, like Steve I found at it was more hassle that it was worth. You can't really just grab the screws and change the function on the fly.

I used either the WD trem stabilizer which goes in one of the springs, kind of a pain to setup, but works well once it is set.

Or better, something like this -

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/ESP-ARMING-AD...CZ46ND6V6T0CKJ

https://www.amazon.com/Trem-Endus-Tr.../dp/B07WJ6TJ6J

Comment

Originally posted by 1neeto View Post

Why not.

Lol, amazing. Not dissimilar from the DIY one I cooked up a while back... just an aluminum corner bracket cut to fit in the trem cavity.

Comment

Originally posted by 1neeto View Post

Why not.

hahaha, that's from my blog. I decided to try this out when I got a bit sick and tired of the little problems with using the Tremol-no.
                        http://www.lonephantom.com
                        http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Originally posted by LonePhantom View Post

hahaha, that's from my blog. I decided to try this out when I got a bit sick and tired of the little problems with using the Tremol-no.
                          lol wow! Cool to run into the original poster of this brilliant idea! I ran into this pic years ago and it blew me away because it makes so much sense! “Why did I never think of this?” Moment. So it was a fairly easy find on google when I typed tremol no deadbolt.

Comment

I think the Mag Lok uses magnets to do this, but never tried it.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                            X