Stainless steel frets - worthwhile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

I thought you said that you liked them. (?)

j/k I know that it was a typo lol
    Damn auto-correct!
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Damn auto-correct!
      That thing definitely does not know the guitar gear world very well. All kinds of words it doesn't want us to make.

Comment

Another fan here. As mentioned: really no downside.

Comment

Stainless steel frets feels a little more slippery on the first day (if you get a refret) then you get use to it. No other downside. It sounds good and last much longer. I got them on my SG so I will never refret it... My daughter maybe...
          Another option (cheaper and quite OK) is 18% silver frets. This is harder them the regular one and still easy to work with for the luthier. I got them only Strat to keep it close to the original.
          Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Love them.
            -=The Dali
            --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

I’m a fan.
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Pretty resounding support... or is everyone here also selling the kool-aid?! Just kidding

What about humidity and temperature in regards to a refret, given that wood does expand and contract? Again, I'm not going to attempt to do this myself, but I'm thinking it'll happen some day.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  The ones I like are on my Warmoth- one of their sizes. It is a jumbo but almost comes to a point at the top- feels great to play on.
                  That's their SS6115...Yes, a very cool and unique fretwire!

I have a neck with this wire and it's probably my favorite

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

That's their SS6115...Yes, a very cool and unique fretwire!

I have a neck with this wire and it's probably my favorite
                    I haven't found 'outside' fretwire that is like it. I might just order the wire itself when I want my Fender re-fretted.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                      What are some thoughts on stainless steel frets? Are they worth the hassle and money? Those of you that have them, did you get them via re-fret or did you the buy the neck/guitar as-is? Are there some common makes/models that use them that I could find in a local shop or a Guitar Center?

I'm casually looking at options for my Tele. No ambitions to attempt a refret myself.

It seems as though they're heralded as "the best thing you can do for your guitar" but I'm always a little skeptical of such claims.
                      I bought a custom made G&L and I decided to go with SS frets because I heard they basically never wear out.

They are great. Not only do they last but the strings are much easier to bend.

Comment

We recently had longcat's Strat refretted with stainless and they're pretty amazing. I'm not a big fan of 7.25" radius, but it plays so much smoother with the new frets. As an added bonus, it also seems to ring out a little better. I'm planning to have several of my guitars refretted in the (hopefully) not too distant future, and this has convinced me that stainless is the only way to go.
                        Last edited by dystrust; 05-26-2021, 08:42 AM.
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Personally I don’t care for them. I’ve refretted a few clients guitars with them.

What I don’t like is the feel. You know that thing you can do by rubbing the string on the fret to get that Foxy Lady thing? Doesn’t work with SS. They are too slick. There is a slight difference in tone… they have a chirpy top end. But it’s subtle.

They are a pain to install too. I’ll put them in the guitars I make if someone requests it, but I’d rather not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            Why would you be skeptical? They don't wear at all vs trenches in ur nickel frets after 2 weeks. No brainer.
                            2 weeks? I have basses I built 30 years ago with nickel silver frets that I used stainless steel strings and they hardly have wear. Same with my 1972 Mustang guitar.

That would have to be very poor quality fret wire to have grooves in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On electrics I seem to get 3-5 years out of most nickle silver frets . . . and that's starting out with jumbos that wear down and are redressed a couple times. On acoustics they seem to last a lot longer though, so maybe it's related to bends or something (which I do far less of on the acoustic). The biggest wear seems to happen under the unwound strings for me, particularly G.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                                On electrics I seem to get 3-5 years out of most nickle silver frets . . . and that's starting out with jumbos that wear down and are redressed a couple times. On acoustics they seem to last a lot longer though, so maybe it's related to bends or something (which I do far less of on the acoustic). The biggest wear seems to happen under the unwound strings for me, particularly G.
                                I never noticed fret wear until a tech pointed out that my #1 had massive fret wear after 18 years of playing. Now I'm likely overthinking it - "I need perfect frets!" instead of just being willing to polish them every now and then.
                                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                                X