Price check.......aisle 3. Gibson Flying V.....ish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price check.......aisle 3. Gibson Flying V.....ish

Working & being at home a lot for covid has seen me get way too into my hobbies and as I type this out I see.....14 guitars in this room. And I have another on special order coming soon. And I'm making another tele scratch build. It's too much. I don't play them all.

I'm at a point where I'd rather part with a couple that don't get the time they deserve and just upgrade to something I truly like and get my overall axe count down to something like 10. Anyway....yea, cool story.

I have a 1981 Gibson Flying V I just don't love. I bought the body by itself off of here. It had been routed out and had a big chunk taken out for a kahler, a rerouted output jack down on the horn and some sizeable dings. I did my best to clean it all up and paint it. It looks great. Exactly how I imagined it really. I made it a 3 humbucker guitar. Saturday Night Special Neck & Bridge with a Phat Cat in the middle. It has one of those crazy 9 position toggle switchs so you can get a ton of combinations. Super hard to wire up but pretty fun.

Oh yea. That's not the original neck either. It came with a dot neck and it got replaced with this one. But it's real and from Gibson.

What I don't love is the neck. Whoever had it before me shaved the neck down big time. I'm learning I am much more of a big neck guy and the thin neck paired with the weird ergonomics of playing a V sitting down.........ehh, it doesn't get touched.

So all that said........if I sell it........what's a fair price? I have no idea. It's a total homegrown mutt. It's not a collector's item. But it's not trash either. I'm almost considering just parting it out instead. I dunno.

Here it is

You put a lot of work into that thing, Blake. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

My wild guess would be anywhere between $300 - $600? Maybe $750 tops, if you can get it? I could see myself buying it for ~$350 - $500 but not much more. It's got way cool factor but it is a major mutt under the covers.

Off topic: where'd you get the vintage badge on the Marshall cab? (is it a Marshall cab?)

Comment

i have no idea what its worth but it looks cool as hell

Comment

I think it's one of those "to the right guy it's worth XXX" but not so much as a true collectible obviously. If I just took out the pickups that would probably be a couple hundred bucks. Just kind of a pain to sell a bunch of pieces separately and a bummer to take apart a functioning guitar.

Oh hey, yes it's an oversized Marshall cab I got for $50 that was totally destroyed. One ripped speaker, no tolex, smashed in grillcloth. I put the whole thing back together and made it nice and found that grill plate on Reverb years ago. Not sure the guy is still making them.

Marshall JTM45/100 Block Plexi Amp Badge/ Logo 1964-65 in Silver/Burgundy or Gold/Black-For restoring Genuine  Vintage 1960's JTM 45/100 Marshall Amplifiers and Speaker Cabinet   Block Logos Badges-Vintage 1960's JTM 45/100 BluesBreaker Plexi Marshall Amplifier and Speaker Badges-Very ...

Comment

Yeesh...that's a challenging situation for sure. With real Gibson parts and upgraded electronics, it's definitely worth more than most "mutts"...but to whom is the question. I'd Reverb that thing, describe all the mods, price it at $850 and consider offers above $700.

How does it play? Cosmetically, does it "look" modified? How nice is the finish up close?

Comment

I think that's where I'm going with it at first. Reverb & craigslist. Reveal all the details and see if someone likes it.

On the horn where I replaced the modified output jack with some new wood I have some witness lines poking through. Same under the pickguard where I had to replace a big chunk of wood but obviously, that's hidden.

Up close the finish is less than perfect. I mean, it was a reranch rattle can job so yea, it's kind of as good as it can get. Overall pretty good tho and basically......kind of appropriate for a 40 year old guitar......but not pristine by any stretch.

Plays great up & down the neck. Only bugaboos are as mentioned......the neck is super thin, especially at the cowboy chord area. Also it has the kind of annoying stuff you get with any 3 pickup guitar where your pick ends up hitting that middle humbucker a fair amount.

Comment

Nice job, man. I reckon you should be able to find a buyer, there's bound to be someone out there who'd like a Gibson with a shreddy neck, unique look/specs, and a guitar they'd be comfortable with using for gigs etc.

Moreover, if you wanted an actual new Gibson with these kind of specs you'd have to order it from them and pay over 5k. People want Gibsons they can afford!
                Originally posted by dominus
                Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Just to close this thread out with a bit of a laugh........decided to post the V on Reverb yesterday. I noticed that the price of this year of V's has jumped CONSIDERABLY since I checked a couple of years ago.

Long story short......the broken down husk I got for a couple hundred bucks just sold for $2500. WOOT!

Comment

Sweet! On a side note, that's my favorite 3-'bucker configuration, using a Phat Cat in the middle for a nice symmetry.

Comment

Do you have the Kahler???

Can it be replaced...that Vibrola will kill the sale more than anything IMO...
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Long story short......the broken down husk I got for a couple hundred bucks just sold for $2500. WOOT!
                        It's called sweat equity, Blake. Way to go, you reap the benefit of your hard work and learning. I'm proud of you!

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Wow, that's an awesome conclusion to the story!
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

and I will be re-investing that money into my new Mule Resonator. WOOOOOO!!!

Comment

Mule eh? Fancy. What specs are you going for?
                              Originally posted by dominus
                              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
                              X