Thoughts on a Bigsby trem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on a Bigsby trem?

lol, is "trem" even the proper term for a Bigsby?

Anyways, I've never had the opportunity to play one.. what are your guys thoughts on it? Advantages, disadvantages, comfort/ease of play.. etc
    -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
    I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Re: Thoughts on a Bigsby trem?

they're the best, just ask Neil Young!

actually, it's been so long since I played one - my first electric had one ... they have their own vibe, so I think you have to try one

the master of a Bigsby, IMO, was John Cippolina of Quicksilver Messenger Service
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly

actually, it's been so long since I played one - my first electric had one ... they have their own vibe, so I think you have to try one
      Are there any guitars that have them standard nowadays? I've seen quite a few SG's on EBay with Bigsby's installed, but I'm assuming most of them are aftermarket mods?
      -Alex

I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

they're really expensive units - but they are pretty darn cool if you ask me - and I'm not a trem guy at all
        Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
        Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
        www.gaugeguitars.com
        Cheers!

Comment

wow, I haven't looked lately, but it seems like some Gretsches would be likely candidates
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline
            they're really expensive units - but they are pretty darn cool if you ask me - and I'm not a trem guy at all
            Me either.. every guitar I have right now is a straight up hardtail. For whatever reason, the Bigsby caught my eye though. I'll have to take a few for a spin.

And, yea.. they really are expensive. When you mentioned that I hopped on StewMac. $259 for a gold one, $164 for a chrome one. I had no idea.
            -Alex

Comment

I have tried the ones on gibson and they are certainly handy but INCREADIBLY hard to keep in tune.
              Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
              The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Originally posted by fusion101
                I have tried the ones on gibson and they are certainly handy but INCREADIBLY hard to keep in tune.
                How so? Do you mean from the initial stringing of the guitar, or after doing a bend? From what I've read, I've heard that most tuning problems resulting from a bend can be alleviated by a well cut nut and a good bridge (ex. Graphtech nut, graphtech saddles)
                -Alex

Comment

too hard to keep in tune, i think. i just think modern trems (like wilkenson) work much better and can be just as subtle as a bigsby. Besides that bug honkin hardware has got to stop the natural vibration of the top.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I hate them. They are the WORST. To be fair they have their vibe and you can get GREAT surf sounds out of them, but every guitar that I've ever purchased that had one on it was immediately deprived of its presence and replaced with a stud tailpiece. They sound wonderful on Gretches as long as you don't use them! LOL
                    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Bigsbys are cool. They can have tuning issues just like any other vintage trem, but a well cut nut solves about 75% of this and locking tuners takes care of the rest. Bigsbys tend to have the worst tuning issues when pushing the bar downward. Most of the time you can get the guitar to snap back into tune by quickly pulling up on the bar and letting it return to place.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Yeah, I think they look cool on the right guitar, but you'll definitely want locking tuners, and possibly a graphite nut and saddle set. They're not the best for dive-bombing, but for subtle vibrato, they're great, and can be kept in pretty good tune with the proper setup.

Ryan
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

In talking to some of the local bigsby fanatics, if you use a bigsby with locking tuners, and a nut and saddles made of a slippery material (like graphtec nuts and saddles) then you can pretty much do anything you want, and it won't go out of tune. The key there being making sure all the moving parts are lightly oiled and free of gunk, so that they won't bind and have the tuning issues that dystrust mentioned. Not to mention, they've got a great vintage/classic look to 'em, and the only trem that comes close to being able to mimic a bigsby "sound" is a Kahler Pro.
                          Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

love them, getting one for the tele and one for the sg.

but it's exactly like he said^
                            Originally posted by krankguitarist
                            And I *really* wouldn't lop Affliction and Ed Hardy in the same category. Affliction stuff can have a sense of subtlety to it.

Comment

******, i've been gassing for both as well. A bigsby tele and a bigsby SG anyways
                              Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

Working...
                              X