The Most Expensive Gibson Line ($40K)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Expensive Gibson Line ($40K)

Just when you thought Gibsons were overpriced enough...

I thought I'd seen it all as far as the top-of-the-line super-expensive Gibsons on their website.

You know, those R9s and the artist series, the super jazz boxes, etc...

Turns out there's another line I've never heard of in my life (although someone may have recently posted one):

The Gibson Master Museum collection.

For example:

Production of the Gibson MASTER MUSEUM COLLECTION acoustics began in 2005. They were individually crafted by Ren Ferguson at a rate of one instrument per month costing around $40,000 each.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gibson master.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	6083516

I vaguely remember hearing about something like these. But I do not remember the sticker being that much of a shocker at the time. Do people actually play these or are they merely tax shelters?
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

“To conceal the source of funds by channeling them through an intermediary...”

Like that pirate guitar, I think these are second hand prices. Not sure what original retail was.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Museum pieces....which is where Gibson is gonna end up if they don't get their company right.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Here's where I heard of these (Pawn Stars LOL) - this is the very first one:

Comment

"made to measure" program is similar. basically, they'll make any custom guitar you want, your specs, for a minimum 5 figure number. It doesn't drop to 4 digits until you order quantity.

Comment

Costs the same to make a 3" depth acoustic as 4" depth practically.

just takes typing a 3 vs a 4 into the CNC for cutting.

They are pushing profit on less and less work. Meanwhile, their core product suffers.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Stuff like reminds me of why I hate Gibson.
                The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

“How else can we jack the price up?”
                  ”How about we go over the top on inlays and binding?”
                  ”Genius!”

Comment

I don't have a problem with Gibson making these... nor the prices.

They're supposed to be top shelf museum quality works of art.

I have a problem with Gibson charging $2K+ for a Les Paul Standard.

I have a problem with Gibson having QC issues on a $2K+ guitar.

etc...

Comment

Lol, lol, and double lol. There's not more guitar in that thing relative to the price. It's only price lmao. It's physically impossible to put that much value in a guitar that results in playing experience, unlike a piano.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Instead of a case, each one comes with a car?
                        ...or both?

Comment

That is just a goofy amount to spend on an acoustic. I'd get a really nice Taylor and a really nice Martin . . . and then pocket the remaining 30,000$ and call it a day.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

'Made to Measure', as long as you pick from a list of things they have done before.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                              I don't have a problem with Gibson making these... nor the prices.

They're supposed to be top shelf museum quality works of art.

I have a problem with Gibson charging $2K+ for a Les Paul Standard.

I have a problem with Gibson having QC issues on a $2K+ guitar.

etc...
                              This^

and now a Studio has jumped to $1500?

I'd love to have new LP Standard, but not at the current price/quality level
                              "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Working...
                              X