No announcement yet.

What guitar for these strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh giant strings with a wound third. I used 12-50s with a wound third for quite a while with my 335. They sound nice, but the wound third makes bending the strings on the guitar a rather miserable experience. I'd take playability over 'toanz' pretty much any day of the week . . . because the tone doesn't matter if your fingers aren't happily making nice sounds. I've been sticking with wimpy 11s with no wound third on that guitar ever since and am very happy.

:P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I understand. But this was/is an experiment. I want to try something I've never done before, just so I know firsthand.

Comment

Generally, the music I find myself playing with 12-52 doesn't require bends on the third. YMMV

Comment

Talking about bending heavy strings.... The heavier they are, the less they need to be bent to make it to the next note.
          I used to have a client who played Amos Garrett style - bending up AND down to multiple notes, sometimes bending 3 strings at the same time. He used 14's. I used to sit in amazement when he played in my shop.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

His string bends are sweet. I try to do that also, but nothing like him. I think it's interesting that he used mostly a Tele, with a Strat neck and middle. The middle was adjusted with the low E side barely above the pickguard and the high E side down flush with the pickguard.

Comment

I have two custom built acoustic guitars. 12 string. I do not play often but choice for good sounding strings that still sound sweet after not being played for a month or two. Its difficult sometime to restring the guitars I play them, especially on weekends, but on day string break while playing guitar, so I am looking from where I can find strings with good deals
              Last edited by Robert Gutanga; 06-01-2021, 01:16 AM.

Comment

I put TI 14s on an SG on a lark. The SG has a woody tone, so it seemed fun. It was a cool experiment. Bends were easier than I expected on the high B and high E. Strings stayed on for maybe 6 weeks. I'm considering selling them for a few bucks.

One of these days I'll have to try some half wounds. Flats feel great, but rounds have that zing and pop.

I think a 25.5" scale guitar tuned down a whole step at least would be interesting with your new strings Artie.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                  I think a 25.5" scale guitar tuned down a whole step at least would be interesting with your new strings Artie.
                  That's just about where I'm at. Now, it's just a question of which guitar, with which pups. I don't see, (or remember), discussions of matching pup styles with string gauge. I have quite a few to choose from.

Comment

put em on the gretch and get your malcom young on! i had a strat setup with 13-56 tuned down a step that i used in a rock trio for a while, sounded huge and was easier on the voice too

Comment

They would be cool on the Gretsch, with the Psyclones. Decisions decisions.

Comment

thats the malcom young! gretsch with heavy strings for old school riffin

Comment

Ok. Gretsch it is. Film@11.

Comment

Working...
                          X