OLP and Sterling - school me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLP and Sterling - school me

I've not played or worked on any OLP or Sterling stuff - haven't even looked at a website about them. Obviously, budget Ernie Ball / Music Man stuff - but how good are the brands? I ask because I have nephews, nieces, and assorted kiddos who grew up in my family having their own kids now - and I will need to equip all of them with some kind of stringed musical instrument as they grow up (just like I did with their parents). I try to keep on top of such things - but the marketplace is truly a bonanza of choices these last few years.

I'm hip to all the budget Fender, Epiphone, and "known" brands. I need raw info, help me out.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Are you saying you are looking for affordable alternatives to 'name' brands? Sterling = Ernie Ball, OLP = not sure what, but is that the idea? Find affordable alternative to the $$$$ brands?

Comment

Sterling are legit guitars. Every one I tried would be worthy of being a perfect stage guitar. OLP, not so much. They retain the EB/MM shapes and that is about it. What you get it a $100 guitar which sits along side other $100 guitars.
      Both are a big leap to an actual EB/MM model, but the OLP isn't even in the same galaxy.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I thought OLP and Sterling were the same thing
        just OLP was the original name and Sterling was the re-branding

try using Google Goob
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

try using Google Goob
          At least I'm hip enough to know they are different. Maybe YOU should hit Google. I came here because I wanted opinions from a good source - not marketing hype sprinkled with glitz.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

At least I'm hip enough to know they are different. Maybe YOU should hit Google. I came here because I wanted opinions from a good source - not marketing hype sprinkled with glitz.
            What marketing?
            What Glitz?

Use your brain
            EHD

Comment

I put a set of Duncan's in a customers OLP quite a few years ago. It was the one that looks like a Wolfgang. IIRC, it seemed like a decent guitar. At least Squier or Cort grade. But then again, I've grown accustomed to "cheap" guitars.

Comment

i had an olp sting ray 5 string and for the price it was a damn fine instrument

Comment

The Sterlings are a world away from the OLPs- I don't think the OLPs are made anymore. Of course the true EB/MM are a world away from the Sterlings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Sterling are legit guitars. Every one I tried would be worthy of being a perfect stage guitar. OLP, not so much. They retain the EB/MM shapes and that is about it. What you get it a $100 guitar which sits along side other $100 guitars.
                    Both are a big leap to an actual EB/MM model, but the OLP isn't even in the same galaxy.
                    this has been my experience as well. Sterling is a line by EBMM that is less expensive but still has attention to detail and quality. OLP licensed the EBMM shapes and made low end guitars. IIRC they were made by HHI, who also made BC Rich at the time.
                    Quality riffs in about a minute...
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post

this has been my experience as well. Sterling is a line by EBMM that is less expensive but still has attention to detail and quality. OLP licensed the EBMM shapes and made low end guitars. IIRC they were made by HHI, who also made BC Rich at the time.
                      Yes, and the OLPs are on par with those BC Rich Warlocks they were cranking out a few years ago. They *can* be made into good players, but by the time you invest the money, you might as well get a Sterling.

Comment

Yeah, my experience with the OLP line is like Mincer's. IMO, total garbage. It was EBMM's first time at getting in to a budget line and it did not go well. They know this and when they had the chance, dumped the line and redid things which is how the Sterling line came to be. I've played a few of the guitars and have a Sterling SUB Ray4 bass. When I was bass shopping, I went through everything on the walls of the shops I went to locally. For some reason, that SUB Ray4 kept pulling me back towards it. I love and it's really well made. The only thing I've done is swap the pickup out for a Duncan SMB-4A. The Sterlings are miles and miles and miles above the now gone (thank God) OLP line.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          Yeah, my experience with the OLP line is like Mincer's. IMO, total garbage. It was EBMM's first time at getting in to a budget line and it did not go well. They know this and when they had the chance, dumped the line and redid things which is how the Sterling line came to be. I've played a few of the guitars and have a Sterling SUB Ray4 bass. When I was bass shopping, I went through everything on the walls of the shops I went to locally. For some reason, that SUB Ray4 kept pulling me back towards it. I love and it's really well made. The only thing I've done is swap the pickup out for a Duncan SMB-4A. The Sterlings are miles and miles and miles above the now gone (thank God) OLP line.
                          Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                          so I was hip enough to be right in Post #4
                          Sweet

Now for Goob's incoming apology

EHD

Comment

I see that the post where you told me to "eff off" was deleted.... My take? I don't apologize to guys to tell me to eff off. In the meantime, keep smoking that **** you think is good stuff.
                            Last edited by ICTGoober; 05-30-2021, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Let's get back on topic, please.

Comment

Working...
                              X