Acoustic guitar tone wood and amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic guitar tone wood and amplifier

When playing an acoustic guitar through an acoustic amp, does the tone of the wood of the acoustic guitar become less important?

Does it also matter less weather the guitar wood is laminated or not if played through an acoustic amp?
    Last edited by Wayne27; 06-01-2021, 01:10 AM.

Depends on the amp, pickup and where you are.....oh, and your skill comes into it greatly too.

The typical dodgy busker with a tone that sounds like the strings are 10 years old and its being played underwater.....it doesn't matter what you start with.

Comment

my acoustics have a pickup blend between piezo and Microphone
      the microphone low end offsets the brittle Piezo

the wood top plays some amount in the tone of the microphone
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

IME it depends mostly on the pickup in the guitar. Sound hole magnetic pickups don’t really pickup the wood. Under saddle transducers are influenced by the wood, and microphone based pickups absolutely depend on the wood.

Laminate will keep it from feeding back better but typically is flatter thin dead sounding, relatively (the rest of the body and neck can make up for it). Non laminate has a warmer and/or more complex sound, in general.
        Last edited by beaubrummels; 06-01-2021, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Magnetic pickups don't really sound at all like the guitar they're put in to my ear. I find that piezos are a bit better but they still have a very strong flavour that kinda overrides the natural sound of the acoustic. The Taylor I've got with ES2 is about as good sounding as any amplified piezo I've played, but it's still sounds very different to putting a mic on the guitar.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The quality of the pickup system has a lot to do with it. I've played wonderful, expensive acoustics made with beautiful wood that sounded amazing to the player, and in the room- but sounded terrible through a PA system. For live playing, the live, amplified sound is more imortant than what it sounds like in the room by itself (the audience, and me, the player, doesn't hear that).
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Agree with all said. It is very difficult to get the true sound of an acoustic to translate through the various electronic paths needed for an audience/room to hear it. In most instances, that acoustic will sound its best naturally on the porch with a player playing their favorite song.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                IME it depends mostly on the pickup in the guitar. Sound hole magnetic pickups don’t really pickup the wood. Under saddle transducers are influenced by the wood, and microphone based pickups absolutely depend on the wood.

Laminate will keep it from feeding back better but typically is flatter thin dead sounding, relatively (the rest of the body and neck can make up for it). Non laminate has a warmer and/or more complex sound, in general.
                Would a acoustic amp help compensate or improve the sound of a laminated back and side of acoustic guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne27 View Post

Would a acoustic amp help compensate or improve the sound of a laminated back and side of acoustic guitar?
                  What helped me was a Fishman Aura pedal.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X