No announcement yet.

Will this hold up / New Problem with Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just put on another string you cheap bastard and move on.

Comment

I'd just play it a while, then replace it. Unless I had a gig, the see Securb's advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        Just put on another string you cheap bastard and move on.
        This more than anything...

I'm just gonna loosen the string from behind the locking nut.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Live dangerously . . . cut the other five strings above the nut.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

By the way - done. There was no explosion, no mega thwap whack zinggg or any other Batman sound effects.

Twisted the nut a touch, 'clink' string went slack, pulled it out.

I'm really enjoying playing this guitar, so, replacing a 9 with a ten.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I'm really enjoying playing this guitar, so, replacing a 9 with a ten.
              Did you have to re-set the Floyd so it balances with the bigger string?

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                On a side note . . . when the time comes to change that string, you may want to wear safety glasses, and stand back. When you loosen that locking nut, that string is going to snap out of there like a psychotic hypodermic needle.
                Before changing that string I'd just drop the Floyd and either cut it, or undo the saddle bolt, shouldn't snap like that.

Comment

Yah, I've had that happen once or twice over the years. Sometimes clamping the strings weakens 'em a bit.
                  Sometimes a tuner button got bumped - doesn't take much movement to overstress such a short length of string.
                  As mentioned, the locking pads don't need to be cranked down too tight.

When I got my first Floyd, they didn't have fine tuners yet. You just tuned normally, then locked down the nut.
                  If you tightened the nut pads too much it'd compress the strings and they'd go flat.
                  Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 06-07-2021, 05:10 PM.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Probably. Definitely if it was heavier than a 9.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Didn't get that far. went to work on my King V, and then Kung Fu.

Comment

My nephew always tries to re tune my guitars when he comes over
                        and broke the high e on my floyded ibanez
                        Broke it at the tuner

Guitar Has been in tune each time i have taken down from the wall for the last five years
                        even with the e flopping at the tuner
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                        X