Gibson quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson quality

Gibson is hiring. You could be the change you wish to see in the world.

Fixing a lot of their problems would call for a whole new redesign in some areas and that will never happen. Additionally, if those changes were indeed implemented, there would be some tonal variations that people I am sure would want back.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

List these problems...
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Is this Gibson quality thing just hysteria? like Satanic panic? something repeated until it must be true?

I didn't see any quality issues on any of the Gibsons I've picked up in the stores in the last couple of years.

Did I buy one? no. but I don't buy them because of the sh*t customer service and lifestyle brand conglomerate BS.

Not saying they havent had some poorer years with QC from the factory, but is this still a thing?
        Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-09-2021, 07:23 AM.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Since the change in upper management, I haven't come across anything with ones I've picked up at local shops recently. A lot of changes were made when the new folks came in.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            Since the change in upper management, I haven't come across anything with ones I've picked up at local shops recently. A lot of changes were made when the new folks came in.
            I haven't see it either.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              List these problems...
              Not a long list, but having a volute or scarf joint as an option would be a great move...

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                is this still a thing?
                I'm starting to feel like it is conjured by the very passion with which people love their Gibsons. Like a wierd, but not unheard of human reaction.

"You say they're best? Well you're wrong cuz here's a botched finish and here's a broken headstock!"

"Yeah, but here are many with impeccable quality! Mistakes happen, but they're still the best!"

"Sure, but here's 10 more with issues, so they can't be the best. Besides I play Fender cuz they're the best" blablabla

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Not a long list, but having a volute or scarf joint as an option would be a great move...
                  They tried that once before (if not twice). Guess what happened? The very type of people that complain about the QC and that they don't improve on their designs actually made a stink about the volute. Their reasoning was it wasn't true to the original or some crap like that. So, Gibson stopped it. Now the same folks are complaining again. See this never-ending circle? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 06-09-2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Is this Gibson quality thing just hysteria? like Satanic panic? something repeated until it must be true?
                    ^^^^ Ding! Ding! Ding! WE HAVE A WINNAH! ^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

That tried that once before (if not twice). Guess what happened? The very type of people that complain about the QC and that they don't improve on their designs actually made a stink about the volute. Their reasoning was it wasn't true to the original or some crap like that. So, Gibson stopped it. Now the same folks are complaining again. See this never-ending circle? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
                      Yeah, I know about all that That's why I said "as an option" . Despite knowing fully well that even having the option is against the "sacred tradition". It's just human nature I guess. I'd like to ask these guys about how plek or cnc fits in their idea of "tradition"

I think that at least partially these opinions drove Gibson to bad decisions like the infamous robot tuner &co, which resulted in being fuel to the fire of hatred. "Can't touch the nitro or headstock, but we have to come up with sg... Meet the Rob-O-tuner!" Jk, I might be wrong though...​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Yeah, I know about all that That's why I said "as an option" . Despite knowing fully well that even having the option is against the "sacred tradition". It's just human nature I guess. I'd like to ask these guys about how plek or cnc fits in their idea of "tradition"

I think that at least partially these opinions drove Gibson to bad decisions like the infamous robot tuner &co, which resulted in being fuel to the fire of hatred. "Can't touch the nitro or headstock, but we have to come up with sg... Meet the Rob-O-tuner!" Jk, I might be wrong though...​​​​​
                        Yeah, the purists don't seem to mind the CNC and PLEK machines.

I think Gibson is on the right track with the Modern Collection and Original Collection. Make a volute an option, or even standard, on the Modern Collection.

Comment

If I worked there, I would just stay long enough to sell Steinberger back to Ned, and get out quickly.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

He doesn't want it.

Comment

So the serious inquirer would have to ask themselves (and Gibson during the interview):

"Why did the previous person leave?"

Comment

Working...
                              X