Electric Bouzouki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    How do you know if it sounds 'right'? I mean, I don't have any idea what an electric bouzouki is supposed to sound like.
    Season to taste

Comment

Well, I expect it to be more 'precise'. Regular acoustic ones always had some kind of 'out of tuneness' to me. There is a big Greek population near here, so get a chance to hear them being played a bit.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Well, I expect it to be more 'precise'. Regular acoustic ones always had some kind of 'out of tuneness' to me. There is a big Greek population near here, so get a chance to hear them being played a bit.
        There is a big Greek population in my house (SO is Greek) I hear them a lot myself. This area has a huge Greek population especially the next two towns over. There is a guy there that makes acoustic BouzoukiIs have been meaning to drop by his shop.

Your Source For All of Your Stringed Instrument Needs

But in all seriousness, the electric is not going to ever sound like the acoustic (IMO) without a piezo. I would say it would be best to approach this instrument as its own musical vehicle. I would love to hear this with a bit of chorus, delay maybe even some gain. I would have a ball with this instrument plugging it into different amps (bass vs. guitar vs. keyboard) and effects. I would also love to explore the instrument in its purest forms straight into an amp. It just is so cool.
        Last edited by Securb; 06-17-2021, 08:36 PM.

Comment

That's what i was thinking- it has its own thing going on, and isn't really made to sound like an old folk instrument. But to an open-minded player, with a history in electric guitar amps and effects, it can be seriously cool. I doubt a traditional player would like one, much like an old school classical player would probably not dig a Strat.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

There is a big Greek population in my house (SO is Greek) I hear them a lot myself. This area has a huge Greek population especially the next two towns over. There is a guy there that makes acoustic BouzoukiIs have been meaning to drop by his shop.

But in all seriousness, the electric is not going to ever sound like the acoustic (IMO) without a piezo. I would say it would be best to approach this instrument as its own musical vehicle. I would love to hear this with a bit of chorus, delay maybe even some gain. I would have a ball with this instrument plugging it into different amps (bass vs. guitar vs. keyboard) and effects. I would also love to explore the instrument in its purest forms straight into an amp. It just is so cool.
            I previously made an acoustic Irish Bouzouki, before this. The electric one can approximate the acoustic, when everything is on full clean. But, yeah. its fun with delay and a touch of growl..
            They do sound different to the Greek bouzoukis, mainly due to the different tunings
            www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

this is a quick sound demo.
              so its one take, no dubs other than the Bass which I put on later. drum machine and the electric Bouzouki with a bit of delay and slight crunch..

https://soundcloud.com/bats-of-the-s...hvntN77bP6IP-w
              www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Great sound! It is like a modern 12 string.

Comment

Peter thanks for the clip it brings this thread full circle

Comment

Thanks fellas,
                    I know the playing is a bit naff, but finding an experienced irish bouzouki player in these parts is a bit of a task
                    but at least you can get an idea of how she sounds
                    www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                    X