• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• devastone
    replied
    Like:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FoHegk3bZzSuZGoMDiauC0SCxSVf86rrzW_2t4L__agRhyylALEuxIRNu7qKJ8fnFAHGU0-A3Wkk63e_adG36F2_Fpi7zltdCsXrmMwJC65ACr8yFiUgHJdmzg.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	6088019

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by Top-L View Post

How can you not be a fan of a guitar company? Serious question.

Is it because the company is known for putting out mostly Chinese junk and you don't want your name associated with it? (Everyone is doing this now.)

Is it because you don't like the quality of the instruments? (They use proprietary bridges and you want an OFR)

Is it because you don't like the management? (The only company I've read that people seem to have "problems" with are Gibson, regarding management and declining quality. But its an iconic brand. Ive read some weird stuff about BC Rich too.)

Is it because they wouldn't be able to build the guitar you really want? (For instance a traditional brand approaches a modern player.)

Is it because the brand is so unknown that you don't think it means anything? (And you would rather not be contractually obligated to play their guitars.)

If someone gave me an opportunity for a signature guitar, I would jump at it. But I'm not a professional player.
    All of what you said weighs into it.

Leave a comment:

• Top-L
    replied
    Originally posted by Bogner View Post
    A guitar company wants to make a signature guitar. You have full say in design/specs/etc. The problem is, you aren't a fan of that company for whatever reason(s). Do you do it?

I wouldn't.
    How can you not be a fan of a guitar company? Serious question.

Is it because the company is known for putting out mostly Chinese junk and you don't want your name associated with it? (Everyone is doing this now.)

Is it because you don't like the quality of the instruments? (They use proprietary bridges and you want an OFR)

Is it because you don't like the management? (The only company I've read that people seem to have "problems" with are Gibson, regarding management and declining quality. But its an iconic brand. Ive read some weird stuff about BC Rich too.)

Is it because they wouldn't be able to build the guitar you really want? (For instance a traditional brand approaches a modern player.)

Is it because the brand is so unknown that you don't think it means anything? (And you would rather not be contractually obligated to play their guitars.)

If someone gave me an opportunity for a signature guitar, I would jump at it. But I'm not a professional player.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied
    Or alternately, production models that have 80% of the specs I want and that i can achieve the other 20% by just doing some DIY mods.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied
    Originally posted by Bogner View Post
    A guitar company wants to make a signature guitar. You have full say in design/specs/etc. The problem is, you aren't a fan of that company for whatever reason(s). Do you do it?

I wouldn't.
    I also wouldn't.

If I wanted a guitar with those specs so badly, I know there are talented luthiers in the market that I can hire to make that guitar for me. One might argue back that hiring someone might not be an option if you can't afford the cost of that, but that's why I mentioned earlier *how badly* you needed all those specs. Cuz in reality, you don't actually need ALL the specs in your dream signature guitar design, hence why most of us make due just fine with what we can afford.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
    I don't know if this has been said already, but if I was good enough to where a company was asking me to make a signature model for me and I didn't like them, I'd probably be able to go somewhere else and get them to do it.
    Maybe, maybe not...

I could see a few scenarios where that could work or not work at all. New company, trying to get their first artist but knows they can't land a big fish. Established company has 10 different artist sig models and may not want any additional. Company may not be known for catering to a certain style of music or player. I don't see Cannibal Corpse and Taylor partnering up. I think there may be more variables than we all initially thought. Good stuff though!

Leave a comment:

• Chistopher
    replied
    I don't know if this has been said already, but if I was good enough to where a company was asking me to make a signature model for me and I didn't like them, I'd probably be able to go somewhere else and get them to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    I would, but I would not be "exclusive" to them in the contract.

I'm sure I could get any company to make me a guitar that I'd be happy with.

Like, I could get a "Steve Dallas" King V easily, or a Fender Strat. But...I would not sign to exclusively use them.

Only Gibson/Dean could get me to do that on stage.

Leave a comment:

• Phantasmagoria
    replied
    Yeah sure. I stopped being nitpicky & letting stuff like preference's (or principle's) hold me back many moons ago. Not gonna say no to free guitars. **** all the other ****.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by playas View Post
    Depends so much on circumstances. In my current situation I'd probably tell them no thanks if I really don't gel with the company offering the deal as I don't make a living playing music.

In a real life scenario I imagine that it would effectively be an offer that is too good not to accept, but before accepting it I would go to some companies that I gel better with and tell them what I've been offered and let the know I'd much rather make a similar deal and see what they have to say.
    There's a twist!

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
    I would sleep with the devil and embrace the Stockholm Syndrome if they would make a custom-shop version of my heavily modified RG270DX.
    It's now no secret how to win your heart...

Leave a comment:

• playas
    replied
    Depends so much on circumstances. In my current situation I'd probably tell them no thanks if I really don't gel with the company offering the deal as I don't make a living playing music.

In a real life scenario I imagine that it would effectively be an offer that is too good not to accept, but before accepting it I would go to some companies that I gel better with and tell them what I've been offered and let the know I'd much rather make a similar deal and see what they have to say.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    If they can make exactly what you want, then you really shouldn't turn it down if you have any sense -I mean they can make what you want -including your dreams come true -letting emotional brand hang ups interfere with such an accomplishment would be insane

So yeah, I guess if PRS wants to call me.... I'll take the call

And my sig guitar would be some kind of semi hollow 339 style guitar with flat 60s SG D shaped neck, flat fretboard, jumbo frets, med aggro humbuckers, Grover 18:1s, modern tuneomatic
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-12-2021, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainWhizz
    replied
    My signature guitar would probably be pretty simple, so the import version would probably be the main version. I’d expect it to retail for under a grand.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
    If they could make me the exact guitar I wanted, I would go for it, unless I was opposed to their morals or ethics.
    this. if i didnt like the company cause i thought they made stupid business decisions or had lame guitars but they could make me what i wanted, sure. if they make awesome stuff but i disagree with them on a moral or ethical level, then no.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X