Your Signature Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nsatke81 View Post

If I was going on a tour, knowing that it is difficult to make any money without sponsorships, yeah…I’d play a LTD, BC Rich, Dean, Solar or Schecter. It doesn’t have to be a Jackson—I just need a bridge humbucker.

Most of the imports from bigger companies aren’t that different…especially if they make them for the artists.

The reality of the situation is that I never met a guitar that I didn’t like for something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear ya. I wasn't thinking import in this scenario but I agree as to the imports being similar with a lot of brands for the most part. For me, if I was going to have a proper signature guitar, things would have to be right on all fronts or I would have a hard time with it. Same with a signature amp.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

I hear ya. I wasn't thinking import in this scenario but I agree as to the imports being similar with a lot of brands for the most part. For me, if I was going to have a proper signature guitar, things would have to be right on all fronts or I would have a hard time with it. Same with a signature amp.
      I used to be a lot pickier than I am now. For a long time I used to think I needed a lot specific stuff to make my sound happen. I’ve been trying to whittle it down in the past 10 years.

Comment

Great question, Bogner. Mincer mentioned headstock designs that can be limiting in terms of custom requirements-which I would also have an issue with. For example, I like headstocks that angle back to put more string tension/angle on the nut. So that rules out a lot of brands like Fender or G&L for example. They'd have to re-tool to make it happen. I doubt they would. And that steel bar across the strings or posts on the headstock don't cut it.

But the question basically states that there would be no limits to customization apart from obvious trademark restrictions from other brands.

So, yes, I'd do it even with a brand I'd never consider buying unless of course it was my model.
        Last edited by esandes; 06-12-2021, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I used to be a lot pickier than I am now. For a long time I used to think I needed a lot specific stuff to make my sound happen. I’ve been trying to whittle it down in the past 10 years.

Sometimes simpler is better for me, in certain situations. I find I am all over the place depending on what I am doing and the sounds I am after. I appreciate ergonomics, knob placement, balance, neck shape, etc and being comfortable in my hands. Over time, I have gravitated more and more away from trem guitars but still love them and go crazy with them now and then making weird noises for 10 minutes then I am done..lol.
          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Sometimes simpler is better for me, in certain situations. I find I am all over the place depending on what I am doing and the sounds I am after. I appreciate ergonomics, knob placement, balance, neck shape, etc and being comfortable in my hands. Over time, I have gravitated more and more away from trem guitars but still love them and go crazy with them now and then making weird noises for 10 minutes then I am done..lol.
            I hear you, loud and clear.

There are some pedals I have that can’t replicate sounds without specific dc resistances and control pot values. It’s become a thinking man’s game and there is no one single bullet.

Comment

I could go with Music Man, though, as 2 of those are my 1 & 2 guitar, though I customized them. They tend to have great balance/ergonomics/weight. I could also go with one of the headless companies (except maybe Kiesel) if they would make a guitar with 22 frets.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I could go with Music Man, though, as 2 of those are my 1 & 2 guitar, though I customized them. They tend to have great balance/ergonomics/weight. I could also go with one of the headless companies (except maybe Kiesel) if they would make a guitar with 22 frets.
                Why 22? Pickup placement? Aesthetic?

Comment

Why 22? Pickup placement? Aesthetic?

Sound of the neck pickup, which is the single most important thing to me in the design of a guitar.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Sound of the neck pickup, which is the single most important thing to me in the design of a guitar.
                    Ahh. I got you.

Comment

I have had several music man guitars over the years and each time I sold them as I like a thicker neck than the Petrucci, Morse or Silo had. As time has gone on, I have gotten a lot better about playing different necks. I may have to revisit Music Man. I will say, every Music Man I owned was finished nicely and felt great. I really like the company as a whole overall. They just don't make a guitar I am really in love with.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                        If they could make me the exact guitar I wanted, I would go for it, unless I was opposed to their morals or ethics.
                        this. if i didnt like the company cause i thought they made stupid business decisions or had lame guitars but they could make me what i wanted, sure. if they make awesome stuff but i disagree with them on a moral or ethical level, then no.

Comment

My signature guitar would probably be pretty simple, so the import version would probably be the main version. I’d expect it to retail for under a grand.

Comment

If they can make exactly what you want, then you really shouldn't turn it down if you have any sense -I mean they can make what you want -including your dreams come true -letting emotional brand hang ups interfere with such an accomplishment would be insane

So yeah, I guess if PRS wants to call me.... I'll take the call

And my sig guitar would be some kind of semi hollow 339 style guitar with flat 60s SG D shaped neck, flat fretboard, jumbo frets, med aggro humbuckers, Grover 18:1s, modern tuneomatic
                            Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-12-2021, 11:04 AM.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Depends so much on circumstances. In my current situation I'd probably tell them no thanks if I really don't gel with the company offering the deal as I don't make a living playing music.

In a real life scenario I imagine that it would effectively be an offer that is too good not to accept, but before accepting it I would go to some companies that I gel better with and tell them what I've been offered and let the know I'd much rather make a similar deal and see what they have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                                I would sleep with the devil and embrace the Stockholm Syndrome if they would make a custom-shop version of my heavily modified RG270DX.
                                It's now no secret how to win your heart...

Comment

Working...
                                X