Your Signature Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by playas View Post
    Depends so much on circumstances. In my current situation I'd probably tell them no thanks if I really don't gel with the company offering the deal as I don't make a living playing music.

In a real life scenario I imagine that it would effectively be an offer that is too good not to accept, but before accepting it I would go to some companies that I gel better with and tell them what I've been offered and let the know I'd much rather make a similar deal and see what they have to say.
    There's a twist!
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Yeah sure. I stopped being nitpicky & letting stuff like preference's (or principle's) hold me back many moons ago. Not gonna say no to free guitars. **** all the other ****.
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I would, but I would not be "exclusive" to them in the contract.

I'm sure I could get any company to make me a guitar that I'd be happy with.

Like, I could get a "Steve Dallas" King V easily, or a Fender Strat. But...I would not sign to exclusively use them.

Only Gibson/Dean could get me to do that on stage.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I don't know if this has been said already, but if I was good enough to where a company was asking me to make a signature model for me and I didn't like them, I'd probably be able to go somewhere else and get them to do it.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
            I don't know if this has been said already, but if I was good enough to where a company was asking me to make a signature model for me and I didn't like them, I'd probably be able to go somewhere else and get them to do it.
            Maybe, maybe not...

I could see a few scenarios where that could work or not work at all. New company, trying to get their first artist but knows they can't land a big fish. Established company has 10 different artist sig models and may not want any additional. Company may not be known for catering to a certain style of music or player. I don't see Cannibal Corpse and Taylor partnering up. I think there may be more variables than we all initially thought. Good stuff though!
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
              A guitar company wants to make a signature guitar. You have full say in design/specs/etc. The problem is, you aren't a fan of that company for whatever reason(s). Do you do it?

I wouldn't.
              I also wouldn't.

If I wanted a guitar with those specs so badly, I know there are talented luthiers in the market that I can hire to make that guitar for me. One might argue back that hiring someone might not be an option if you can't afford the cost of that, but that's why I mentioned earlier *how badly* you needed all those specs. Cuz in reality, you don't actually need ALL the specs in your dream signature guitar design, hence why most of us make due just fine with what we can afford.
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Or alternately, production models that have 80% of the specs I want and that i can achieve the other 20% by just doing some DIY mods.
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                  A guitar company wants to make a signature guitar. You have full say in design/specs/etc. The problem is, you aren't a fan of that company for whatever reason(s). Do you do it?

I wouldn't.
                  How can you not be a fan of a guitar company? Serious question.

Is it because the company is known for putting out mostly Chinese junk and you don't want your name associated with it? (Everyone is doing this now.)

Is it because you don't like the quality of the instruments? (They use proprietary bridges and you want an OFR)

Is it because you don't like the management? (The only company I've read that people seem to have "problems" with are Gibson, regarding management and declining quality. But its an iconic brand. Ive read some weird stuff about BC Rich too.)

Is it because they wouldn't be able to build the guitar you really want? (For instance a traditional brand approaches a modern player.)

Is it because the brand is so unknown that you don't think it means anything? (And you would rather not be contractually obligated to play their guitars.)

If someone gave me an opportunity for a signature guitar, I would jump at it. But I'm not a professional player.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Is it because the company is known for putting out mostly Chinese junk and you don't want your name associated with it? (Everyone is doing this now.)

Is it because you don't like the quality of the instruments? (They use proprietary bridges and you want an OFR)

Is it because you don't like the management? (The only company I've read that people seem to have "problems" with are Gibson, regarding management and declining quality. But its an iconic brand. Ive read some weird stuff about BC Rich too.)

Is it because they wouldn't be able to build the guitar you really want? (For instance a traditional brand approaches a modern player.)

Is it because the brand is so unknown that you don't think it means anything? (And you would rather not be contractually obligated to play their guitars.)

If someone gave me an opportunity for a signature guitar, I would jump at it. But I'm not a professional player.
                    All of what you said weighs into it.

Comment

Like:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	FoHegk3bZzSuZGoMDiauC0SCxSVf86rrzW_2t4L__agRhyylALEuxIRNu7qKJ8fnFAHGU0-A3Wkk63e_adG36F2_Fpi7zltdCsXrmMwJC65ACr8yFiUgHJdmzg.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	6088019

Comment

More than that goes into it....

Like I said; Can I play another brand on stage?
                        Am I allowed to mention other guitars I have played in interviews?
                        Can I post a Youtube vid of me & my first guitar?
                        Are they free? Or reduced cost?
                        Is there a sales target expectation?

This is NOT about giving YOU the guitar you want. It is first and foremost about selling THEIR guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

More than that goes into it....

Like I said; Can I play another brand on stage?
                          Am I allowed to mention other guitars I have played in interviews?
                          Can I post a Youtube vid of me & my first guitar?
                          Are they free? Or reduced cost?
                          Is there a sales target expectation?

This is NOT about giving YOU the guitar you want. It is first and foremost about selling THEIR guitars.

Hmmm. Trying to imagine the worst possible deal...

Lets say I had a breakout metal video and album that had some traction on YouTube.

I was approached by Sawtooth guitars to do a signature.

But the caveat was that I had to play Sawtooth guitars exclusively for three years.

And I had to have my picture in Sawtooth ads under Master Micheal Angelo Batio.

And they sent me two essentially $300 guitars to play for that three years.

Would I take it?

I would take it as a joke. To say I had a signature guitar.

Even though it is probably a production guitar that someone quickly spraypainted in the warehouse to my "specs".

I would take it.

Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                            If they could make me the exact guitar I wanted, I would go for it, unless I was opposed to their morals or ethics.
                            This is how I see it. My "needs" in a guitar are not all that special, in my opinion, but if a company I admired wanted to do a deal, I'd probably go for it, if they're willing to give me the keys to the design room.

Comment

I was approached by Sawtooth guitars to do a signature.
                              I'm out. I'll buy my own. Thanks but no thanks...

Comment

I think the original hypothetical said you had full control of design and specs (we will have to suppose without infringing on trademarks), so for example, if you ask them to, Fender have to make you something as close to an Ibanez Jem as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X