X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I could go with Music Man, though, as 2 of those are my 1 & 2 guitar, though I customized them. They tend to have great balance/ergonomics/weight. I could also go with one of the headless companies (except maybe Kiesel) if they would make a guitar with 22 frets.
    I have had several music man guitars over the years and each time I sold them as I like a thicker neck than the Petrucci, Morse or Silo had. As time has gone on, I have gotten a lot better about playing different necks. I may have to revisit Music Man. I will say, every Music Man I owned was finished nicely and felt great. I really like the company as a whole overall. They just don't make a guitar I am really in love with.

Leave a comment:

• Nsatke81
    replied

Sound of the neck pickup, which is the single most important thing to me in the design of a guitar.
    Ahh. I got you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by Nsatke81 View Post

Why 22? Pickup placement? Aesthetic?

Sound of the neck pickup, which is the single most important thing to me in the design of a guitar.

Leave a comment:

• Nsatke81
    replied
    I could go with Music Man, though, as 2 of those are my 1 & 2 guitar, though I customized them. They tend to have great balance/ergonomics/weight. I could also go with one of the headless companies (except maybe Kiesel) if they would make a guitar with 22 frets.
    Why 22? Pickup placement? Aesthetic?

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Nsatke81
    replied
    Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Sometimes simpler is better for me, in certain situations. I find I am all over the place depending on what I am doing and the sounds I am after. I appreciate ergonomics, knob placement, balance, neck shape, etc and being comfortable in my hands. Over time, I have gravitated more and more away from trem guitars but still love them and go crazy with them now and then making weird noises for 10 minutes then I am done..lol.
    I hear you, loud and clear.

There are some pedals I have that can’t replicate sounds without specific dc resistances and control pot values. It’s become a thinking man’s game and there is no one single bullet.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied

I used to be a lot pickier than I am now. For a long time I used to think I needed a lot specific stuff to make my sound happen. I’ve been trying to whittle it down in the past 10 years.

Sometimes simpler is better for me, in certain situations. I find I am all over the place depending on what I am doing and the sounds I am after. I appreciate ergonomics, knob placement, balance, neck shape, etc and being comfortable in my hands. Over time, I have gravitated more and more away from trem guitars but still love them and go crazy with them now and then making weird noises for 10 minutes then I am done..lol.

Leave a comment:

• esandes
    replied
    Great question, Bogner. Mincer mentioned headstock designs that can be limiting in terms of custom requirements-which I would also have an issue with. For example, I like headstocks that angle back to put more string tension/angle on the nut. So that rules out a lot of brands like Fender or G&L for example. They'd have to re-tool to make it happen. I doubt they would. And that steel bar across the strings or posts on the headstock don't cut it.

But the question basically states that there would be no limits to customization apart from obvious trademark restrictions from other brands.

So, yes, I'd do it even with a brand I'd never consider buying unless of course it was my model.
    Last edited by esandes; 06-12-2021, 08:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nsatke81
    replied

I hear ya. I wasn't thinking import in this scenario but I agree as to the imports being similar with a lot of brands for the most part. For me, if I was going to have a proper signature guitar, things would have to be right on all fronts or I would have a hard time with it. Same with a signature amp.
    I used to be a lot pickier than I am now. For a long time I used to think I needed a lot specific stuff to make my sound happen. I’ve been trying to whittle it down in the past 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied

If I was going on a tour, knowing that it is difficult to make any money without sponsorships, yeah…I’d play a LTD, BC Rich, Dean, Solar or Schecter. It doesn’t have to be a Jackson—I just need a bridge humbucker.

Most of the imports from bigger companies aren’t that different…especially if they make them for the artists.

The reality of the situation is that I never met a guitar that I didn’t like for something.

I hear ya. I wasn't thinking import in this scenario but I agree as to the imports being similar with a lot of brands for the most part. For me, if I was going to have a proper signature guitar, things would have to be right on all fronts or I would have a hard time with it. Same with a signature amp.

Leave a comment:

• Nsatke81
    replied

So you would go for it and join up with a company you are not fond of for whatever reasons for the cash? I couldn't / wouldn't do it myself but that is me.
    If I was going on a tour, knowing that it is difficult to make any money without sponsorships, yeah…I’d play a LTD, BC Rich, Dean, Solar or Schecter. It doesn’t have to be a Jackson—I just need a bridge humbucker.

Most of the imports from bigger companies aren’t that different…especially if they make them for the artists.

The reality of the situation is that I never met a guitar that I didn’t like for something.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    One thing that always annoys me is having a version of the artist's signature at every single price-point.

Having one version for production and another at custom-shop is OK I guess, but I'd rather the production model be what the player actually uses live, and the custom-shop version be either snazzed-up bit or maybe have the same guitar but with an "alternate hardware package" or even like 22frets vs 24,,ect,,.
    I think it is cool that PRS has the Tremonti model and then the Tremonti SE model for a more cost effective price point.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    I wouldn't if they couldn't build what I actually would use. For instance, if the headstock was part of the company's brand and all their guitars *had* to use that headstock (but I never would), I'd pass.
    Generally, there are a lot of compromises (usually due to cost) that artists make in order to get a signature guitar. I am sure most people are ok with those tradeoffs. But if I had a fan base big enough to sell a few thousand instruments, I'd want them to get exactly what I use. I'd also like to be able to take a guitar off the shelf and have it sub in for my personal instrument at any time and not feel like I have 'less'.
    That would be ideal.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    I would not have to be a fan of the company to yell "yes" very loudly.

As long as the brand was not openly raping and pillaging people. (not including animals for the sake of this discussion lol)
    Ha! So a literal "Oxblood" color option would be out.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    It depends on how badly I needed the ends. Normally I’m too happy to play everything under the sun to pick one specific brand.

So you would go for it and join up with a company you are not fond of for whatever reasons for the cash? I couldn't / wouldn't do it myself but that is me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X