How do you create this finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you create this finish?

It’s pretty popular now, I think it needs to be on a wood like Ash, right? Grain filler of one color, then a sanded top coat? Is this doable by an amateur?

Click image for larger version

Name:	A5388EC4-844C-4C2A-8570-F717005CB2C5.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	6088090 Click image for larger version

Name:	0413351F-E202-46BA-9086-2C7E5C4A3F23.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	6088091
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

More examples:

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I think Masta' C recently did a finish like this. You could try a forum search on topics he started, but you'd have to guess the keywords. Or if he doesn't see your topic in a few days, PM him.
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

id think open pore wood, yeah and i would think an amateur could do it with at least some level of success

Comment

I thought that was produced by burning the body with a torch? https://www.woodworkerssource.com/bl...ng-techniques/
          Last edited by idsnowdog; 06-14-2021, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Here is the topic I was remembering. And it doesn't have as much contrast.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...etty-dang-cool
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Some are torched
              sanded then stained

Some are stained then sanded back and stained thith the primary color

Last edited by ehdwuld; 06-14-2021, 04:32 PM.
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I think I’ve seen some like that by Charvel, PRS, and Chapman, listed as sandblasted ash?

Comment

Yah, I always thought the ones with extreme texturing were sandblasted.

You can get color contrast with grain filler, but for the deep texture you need to actually be removing wood.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks guys. Seems like the professional route is to sandblast out the softer part of the grain leaving the harder part raised, do a dyed grain filler, top coat color, lightly sand and clear?
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Sandblasting leaves the wood dirty. A stiff brush with brass bristles will remove the softer grain (the dark streaks). Then stain is applied, sanded off the high (hard) partions, then painted a contrasting color. Colllings calls this a "doghair" finish.

Ibanez did something similar back in the late 70's/early 80's on some models made of ash.
                      Like so....

Name:	1978-ibanez-bob-weir-2681-sunburst.jpg?maxwidth=500.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	6088218

Name:	l4yxd2jw8zgup2nnsswn.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	6088219
                      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                        Sandblasting leaves the wood dirty. A stiff brush with brass bristles will remove the softer grain (the dark streaks). Then stain is applied, sanded off the high (hard) partions, then painted a contrasting color. Colllings calls this a "doghair" finish.

Ibanez did something similar back in the late 70's/early 80's on some models made of ash.
                        Like so....

Uh, those the sweeeeeeet!
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

Like so....

Excellent, thanks for the info.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I think that finish is going to look 'very 2020's like neon looks 'very 80s' now. It isn't a bad finish, but I don't think it will stick around a lot.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              I think that finish is going to look 'very 2020's like neon looks 'very 80s' now. It isn't a bad finish, but I don't think it will stick around a lot.
                              I agree, probably closer to crackle paint in the 80’s.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X