banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGPD: 2019 Gibson Les Paul Special - first real Gibson in 12 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The case is even really cool.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Oy vey, now that's a raucous fiddle; plug into a British or Tweed amp, and season to taste.

So what would be the main things separating this and a VOS one, apart from $$? Wood grade? Pickups?
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
        Oy vey, now that's a raucous fiddle; plug into a British or Tweed amp, and season to taste.

So what would be the main things separating this and a VOS one, apart from $$? Wood grade? Pickups?
        Custom shop version has vintage size tuning machine holes, 3-on-a-plate tuners with push-in bushings, a wide bevel pickguard and ever so slightly duller paint. I think that's about it.

The 3 on a plate tuners won't work with these Original Collection series of Specials, because the tuning machine holes are modern size and because they are not in a perfectly straight line. Conversion push-in bushings could be popped in to make it look more vintage correct from the front and a wide bevel pickguard could easily be purchased to replace the stock pickguard. But...I absolutely love how this guitar looks from top to bottom and I am not changing a thing.

As far as I know, these pickups are identical to what goes in the Custom stop version.
        1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
        2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
        2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
        2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
        2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
        -------
        1979 Marshall JMP 2204
        1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
        2021 Epic Amplification AR50
        2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          The case is even really cool.
          Thank you, sir...got lucky with my local shop. They had only one Les Paul shaped case in the store and it was this older Gibson branded one. I was happy to pay $90 for it.
          1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
          2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
          2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
          2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
          2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
          -------
          1979 Marshall JMP 2204
          1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
          2021 Epic Amplification AR50
          2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post

Custom shop version has vintage size tuning machine holes, 3-on-a-plate tuners with push-in bushings, a wide bevel pickguard and ever so slightly duller paint. I think that's about it.

The 3 on a plate tuners won't work with these Original Collection series of Specials, because the tuning machine holes are modern size and because they are not in a perfectly straight line. Conversion push-in bushings could be popped in to make it look more vintage correct from the front and a wide bevel pickguard could easily be purchased to replace the stock pickguard. But...I absolutely love how this guitar looks from top to bottom and I am not changing a thing.

As far as I know, these pickups are identical to what goes in the Custom stop version.
            Cool, so not necessarily worth going VOS (and paying nearly 4k) unless you're pedantic about vintage accuracy. Also, the wheat shade of yellow is the way to go, imo! Seems like they've done good with this model.

10mm tuner holes certainly make it more amenable to swaps if desired.
            Originally posted by dominus
            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
            X