NGD - Used LTD MH-17 7 string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Used LTD MH-17 7 string

Guy had a used LTD MH-17 on FB Marketplace for a week, then it disappeared. Back this morning listed for less money. I had a pal check to see if it was still for sale around 6PM this evening. It was. My pal showed up with money in hand, and the guy took ten bucks less.... It's cheap, even with no gigbag or case. I'll pick it up Thursday when we have lunch...
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Congrats, Must have pics!
    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Nice! Is this your first 7-string?

Comment

Yes...but I have other plans for the neck. Also, I have an 8 string Schecter that needs work.... someday.
        I'll post pics tomorrow, but don't expect YT vids of me shredding. I have enough trouble with 6 strings.

Comment

Well, surprise, surprise. It's NOT an MH-17, it's an M-17. It's in good condition, only 2 nicks in the body - assorted small scratches. I'm not that hip to ESP/LTD lingo. Anyone know the difference? The guy had other guitars - a couple Westone Dynasty guitars. One red metallic, one blue metallic.

Comment

I think the main differences between the lines go thus (there have been many iterations/variations over the years):

M - slab body, bolt on or set neck, 6 on a side headstock, hardtail or Floyd.
            H - carved top, set neck, 3+3 headstock, hardtail (mostly).
            MH - carved top, bolt on or set neck, 6 on a side headstock, hardtail or Floyd.

Man, those Westones are straight out of Space Invaders.
            Originally posted by dominus
            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I think the main differences between the lines go thus (there have been many iterations/variations over the years):

M - slab body, bolt on or set neck, 6 on a side headstock, hardtail or Floyd.
              H - carved top, set neck, 3+3 headstock, hardtail (mostly).
              MH - carved top, bolt on or set neck, 6 on a side headstock, hardtail or Floyd.
              Makes sense because it's a slab body, bolt-on neck, 6 on a side headstock, with a hardtail.

Man, those Westones are straight out of Space Invaders.
              You are NOT kidding. I guess a lot of Westone stuff has become collectable... for whatever reason.

Comment

Been going over this thing... Needed a good cleaning. The tune-o-matic has collapsed from heavy strings, so I'll fix that. Strung it up with lighter strings (.009 to .052), and tuned it to standard pitch. String spacing is so close together, and yet there is real estate on both sides of the fingerboard. Might make a new nut from bone.

I moved the volume pot to the tone pot hole, and tucked the tone pot inside for safe keeping. I just can't handle knobs or switches placed close to the strings. I am not one of those guys who uses my pinky to work the controls. Maybe there is hope for this thing.

Comment

nice
                  Last edited by Top-L; 07-05-2021, 07:21 PM.

Comment

That .052 on the low B wasn't cutting it. A .058 works better, sounds better. Finally got tired of that injection molded piece of chewing gum serving poorly as a nut. Kept grabbing the strings, and in general made it hard to tune. Fabbed up a new bone nut that looks good, and the tuning troubles are history. Now touching up a couple dings. This thing lives and breathes like intended.

Comment

It's nice to give new life to a budget axe - a good setup, new nut and sometimes tuners can make something average into something you find yourself reaching for to riff on.

I put some new tuners on an old beater I own and it has made a big difference, not just to tuning (it's nice to play a solo with lots of bends and not have to reach for the pegs), but the whole rings and sustains now (original plate tuners with plastic bushings = string vibration damper).
                      Originally posted by dominus
                      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
                      X