Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an original MM Axis?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an Axis guitar, preferably an original EBMM, but there are not many locally. I found on the local classified one that could be an original, but I'm not sure; hence I need your help identifying it.

I've been wanting one for years, but I could never found one in my price range. And I was not too sure about buying an OLP or a Sterling.

I've attached the pictures from the ad and I have a few observations:
    • The top is not flamed maple, but I don't know if this is optional
    • The neck is not figured but seems plain maple, I also don't know if this is optional
    • The locking parts are missing from the nut, I guess this can be replaced.
    • The headstock says "Ernie Ball MUSICMAN Axis Super Sport", to my knowledge the AXIS comes with HH locking trem and a single volume, but the SUPER SPORT, has a normal trem and tone control. Again, I don't know if this is optional.
    • Says it has Seymour Duncan pickups, I know the AXIS comes with Cusmot DIMARZIOS, but pickups can be easily changed. Any idea where to get another DIMARZIO?
    Everything else seems ok to me, but I've never had or played an EBMM before, so I cannot judge.

It is not my dream guitar, as I had imagined with an all maple neck-fretboard, a flame or quilted top and a lighter (orangy) color; but this is what I could find and for the price, I would not let it pass. BUT ONLY, and ONLY if it is an original EBMM. I have no interest in a fake guitar, and if it were an OLP or a Sterling, I would think about it.

What do you think?

Cheers
    Walt
    "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

The headstock reads Axis Super Sport and it has a FR bridge on the body, but I have not seen that combination together from the factory. The Super Sports I've seen have the Music Man vintage style bridge and 5 way pickup switch.

Here's a handful of them that my "local" (2 hours away) dealer has on their website.

Comment

Looks like a regular Axis body (with the trem route modified for pull-up) with a Super Sport neck that had the Floyd nut installed. The regular Axis did come in solid black in 2009, but it has Duncans and not the custom DiMarzios, the selector switch is not stock (which is all metal, no plastic tip), stock tuners have pearl buttons with shorter shafts, and the stock volume knob was black and read "Tone". I'm gonna go out on a limb and call it a parts mutt.
      Last edited by ErikH; 07-01-2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Mm, I think it is attempting to masquerade as a real one. There are some differences in the shape of the body: gives it away to me is the contour of the upper bout - EBMM has a narrow notch by the cutaway going into a bulbous bout (more like a Tele), while the example in the op has a wider, convex cut. The shape of the lower horn is also subtly different, and the rear control cavity cover doesn't seem to match Super Sport or regular Axis types. Switch and knob are spaced a tad further apart on a real Axis, and I don't think real ones with a 3 way toggle have ever had a plastic switch tip.

The headstock shape of an actual EBMM is different too - more gently curved ears, while the op example has quite sharp ones. Neck/headstock transition area is a softer V shape on originals.

Afaik these always had 5 bolts holding the neck and the neck joint area of the body angled so it fits the palm better. Plus other details already mentioned - controls of regular Axis vs Super Sport; locking trem (Axis) vs hardtail or non-locking (Super Sport). And, of course, a real EBMM wouldn't come with a TRS knockoff Floyd.
        Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 07-01-2021, 02:38 PM.
        Originally posted by dominus
        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Yeah, too much seems off here. How much they asking?
          I wouldn't buy an OLP, but a Sterling is worth waiting for.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

the pickup cavities have the wrong shape, the trem isn't schaller or gotoh or any other well known brand (i.e. fake) (MM uses a Gotoh-made trem I think). and the pickups are fake too.

The body shape is also wrong, the trem is recessed and I haven't seen any other axis that's got a recessed Floyd.

This is really a poorly made copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Yeah, too much seems off here. How much they asking?
              I wouldn't buy an OLP, but a Sterling is worth waiting for.
              He wants 660 bucks, which if it were a real EBMM I would get it in a heartbeat and try to bring it back to stock, but everyone in this thread (my included) seems to think it is not original.

I found a Sterling AX40 for 450 buck, which seems much better and closer to my dream axis. See below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	9393379028.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	6092665
              "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

That Sterling looks pretty nice! The purple reminds me of Ed's old double neck.

Looks like an older model, as current ones have a blade switch, two pots, and no Floyd.
                Originally posted by dominus
                Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Yeah, that's a nice Sterling. Every one I've played is a cool guitar, and fun to upgrade. At least you are getting a genuine instrument.

Comment

The Headstock is first to not look right. very sharp "curves" as opposed to soft curves.
                    then the neck joint shows 4 screws not 5. The super sport is a rather later version of the axis, first is was axis, the axis sport the axis super sport.
                    even if EBMM were to use 4 screws they would have done so right in the beginning (but they also say they use 5 for better stability) and not on a later model.

also the floyd cavity is not right. every axis (sport/super sport) ive ever seen and played on with a floyd has no cavity.

every one on my EBMMs (from 1999 to 2014 those are my models) have a 5 screw bolt on plate.

I'd say definitely a fake.
                    Last edited by Sheronmusician; 07-19-2021, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Super Sports had 5 way switches, too.

Comment

The one in the OP is a hard pass, definitely an Asian body, not sure what/whose, the bridge is a cheap Floyd copy. Interested that it seems to have a real EBMM neck, but everything else makes that suspicious too.

The original Axis had a Gotoh trem with locking nut, basswood body with quilt maple top, and birdseye neck, and is going to cost a lot more than $600.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          The one in the OP is a hard pass, definitely an Asian body, not sure what/whose, the bridge is a cheap Floyd copy. Interested that it seems to have a real EBMM neck, but everything else makes that suspicious too.

The original Axis had a Gotoh trem with locking nut, basswood body with quilt maple top, and birdseye neck, and is going to cost a lot more than $600.
                          Definitely not an original neck/headstock.

Even OLP that was licensed to make the MM shape guitars back in the day (before Sterling by MM) made proper copies, not such baaaaaad ones

Comment

Originally posted by waltschwarzkopf View Post

He wants 660 bucks, which if it were a real EBMM I would get it in a heartbeat and try to bring it back to stock, but everyone in this thread (my included) seems to think it is not original.

I found a Sterling AX40 for 450 buck, which seems much better and closer to my dream axis. See below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	9393379028.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	6092665
                            That is a beaut!
                            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                            X