X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beaubrummels
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

Wow….I love that. What kind of bridge is that? I’ve never seen that before.
    I believe it's one of these:

Hipshot Headless Tremolo System - 6 String Bridge and Headpiece Make the most of your headless build with the Hipshot Headless Tremolo System. The super smooth pivot pin design found on our US Contour and Flat Plate Tremolos is now available for your headless guitar! The Headless Tremolo System also features Hipshot's

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    Received mine today in good health. The guitar is much more beautiful in person than photos can show. The finish is rich in color and changes significantly with the angle of light.

Wow….I love that. What kind of bridge is that? I’ve never seen that before.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    Received mine today in good health. The guitar is much more beautiful in person than photos can show. The finish is rich in color and changes significantly with the angle of light.

Leave a comment:

• d1dsj
    replied
    To say I’m gutted is an understatement, as it was such a magnificent gesture by Mr. O. I’m only gutted because it’s damaged, it’s not the end of the world but it’s such a shame after the work that’s gone into this guitar. I’ll have to try and find a luthier to get it all back together.

Leave a comment:

• orpheo
    replied
    Holy smokes. First time a guitar I have shipped this way is destroyed! Damn. That guitar must have made a huge smack... let's file a complaint because this is ridiculous.

I'll dive into your PM now.

Leave a comment:

• d1dsj
    replied
    Great wedding photo Mr. O.

my guitar turned up today and whist the wood looked amazing it’s not a happy ending.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Inspiring photos as always!

Leave a comment:

• ErikH
    replied
    Originally posted by orpheo View Post
    And this moment, captured in a photo, is when the world stood still for even just a second or two.

See? Married.
    That is a great photo! A moment to cherish.

I would have loved to have jumped on one of your builds but having a kid in college now kinda reallocates a lot of extra funds. I love the looks of your single-cut builds.

And I agree with your ex-partner and wife, keep building, but scale back. Simple as that. You have a talent. Keep using it. I hope your health is improving and wish you continued happiness.

Leave a comment:

• orpheo
    replied
    And this moment, captured in a photo, is when the world stood still for even just a second or two.

See? Married.

Leave a comment:

• orpheo
    replied
    Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    Dang Orph...those look fricking amazing. Have a Tele and Cherry burst Paul sitting right here - but not as sexy as those!
    I sold almost all of my stuff for peanuts a few months ago Mind if I make you a bit more jealous? hehe

I had these two for sale: 500 euro's each (sans shipping, of course).

This one went for E650.

I had this one for E1000. How many buyers, you ask? Zero.

I sold this for 800E. it is fully hollow except for near the trem. It has a walnut back on a mahogany core and maple cap; 17 piece neck and macassar ebony fretboard. And the neck was so, so thin...

Leave a comment:

• AdrianSD
    replied
    orpheo didn't have the chance to meet you in person, but you're such an inspiration. Fortune rewards the generous, humble and patient and you're all three and more. Not much more I can say, good on you.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Dang Orph...those look fricking amazing. Have a Tele and Cherry burst Paul sitting right here - but not as sexy as those!

Leave a comment:

• orpheo
    replied
    I'm just hanging around here to follow up on the shipments and trouble shoot if someone has a weird issue, like Jeremy I sent Mincer a message a few days ago (gotta dive in your response, Dave, I'm sorry: extremely hectic days! but that's nothing new ) about my current situation. I am not saying I'm quitting guitarmaking all together even though it is crossing my mind. I spoke with my wife and ex-business partner about it and we all agree that quitting will be a complete waste of talent, time, effort and money. I just need to find a new way of approaching making guitars and I believe that slimming down the ENTIRE line to just making guitars I enjoy making, is the best way forward. That means, practically: just the LP shape and nothing else. I don't like anything else. Let's build that first for a while and see how it ends up.

It is funny to realize that in 2017 I made 36 in one year. Really, I did! Now, I'm spending just as many hours on making guitars but I now make just 12 or so. Every step of the way takes now a lot longer because I simply want to make better guitars.

But the issues run deeper. Last year showed me that 'making guitars' is not what defines me. I define me. Life is more than running amok in sawdust, fearing for fingers and being frustrated when nitro won't cure as fast as you want. And making guitars sounds so 'romantic', but it's hard work, every day, every time. Not only the process is difficult and exhausting but it's mostly the managing of expectations that takes a while. For instance, some things sounds so simple, right?

For example:

Looks like a fairly simple guitar, right? It's not. The pickup cavities need to be exact and precise because there's no ring to cover anything up. The trem recess needs to be exact and precise otherwise it looks cheap. The top needs to bend downwards and if it doesn't, it will look off too. The 5 way blade is challenging to cut. The straight string pull is difficult to make exact and precise. The top AND back need to be perfectly level and since quilt maple sucks up so much lacquer, it takes forever to finish this!

Or this one?

This is so friggin difficult. Without a CNC, of course. The pickguard needs to go perfectly around the neck otherwise it will look cheap. You can't drill the ferrules wrong because: no second chances! Sure, you could route in a trem if you want but that's not what you really want, do you? There's almost no space to correct the alignment because the bridge + pickup all need to be routed in 1 go. Easy? No. Absolutely not.

But this?

Child's play. This is so easy to make. Laminating a neck? Easy. Doing inlay? Easy! Angled headstock? Easy! Carving the top? Easy!

This is a simple guitar, my friends. A strat? No.

The carving of the top looks daunting but it's not. To get the forearm contour or the tummy carve clean, straight, flat and level: that is hard. And I don't want to go through that stress again.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    I am happy to see these being delivered!

Leave a comment:

• ErikH
    replied
    Good to see you are doing well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X