No announcement yet.

Orpheo Guitars: Guitars Giveaway!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always wondered; How many marathons does it take to get ready for a marathon? No need to answer lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      I've always wondered; How many marathons does it take to get ready for a marathon? No need to answer lol.
      Zero.

With most long distance endurance type stuff the event is pretty damaging to your body. So you'll do a ton of miles in the lead up to the marathon, but usually in shorter stints to reduce stress. If you can do 80% of the distance at the pace you want in training, you can squeeze out that extra 20% on race day when you need to . . . it's mostly a matter of stubbornness and power of will. This is assuming that marathons are like long distance cycling stuff . . . I did a 200 km randonneuring event on my bike without ever cycling more than 160 km at a time before the event and it went fine (exhausting, but fine).
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Zero.

With most long distance endurance type stuff the event is pretty damaging to your body. So you'll do a ton of miles in the lead up to the marathon, but usually in shorter stints to reduce stress. If you can do 80% of the distance at the pace you want in training, you can squeeze out that extra 20% on race day when you need to . . . it's mostly a matter of stubbornness and power of will. This is assuming that marathons are like long distance cycling stuff . . . I did a 200 km randonneuring event on my bike without ever cycling more than 160 km at a time before the event and it went fine (exhausting, but fine).
        Well I was meaning in a cumulative sense, which of course is about impossible to answer for most because they've set their baseline-endurance very high through a lifetime of distance running (in some cases). What is really crazy are those ultra-marathoners running like 100 miles or whatever. They might actually log some standard 26m marathons in the weeks leading up.

This reminds me of that Terry Fox movie on HBO way back. That guy was doing huge distances on most days, like maybe close to regular marathons when he could, all on one leg essentially. There is also the ESPN doc about that, I think it was one of the 30-for-30 series.
        Last edited by dave74; 08-18-2021, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Just don't push yourself too hard going for that last 20%.
          The original Marathon runner is said to have finished his run, uttered a single word, "Victory," then dropped dead.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

All of them….

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

All of them….
              Run the Badwater 135.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Last time I ran 10km, 4x a week after I build it up for a few months. I'm now at 4x6. Early september it will be 4x 8, mid september 8+8+10+10.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                  Last time I ran 10km, 4x a week after I build it up for a few months. I'm now at 4x6. Early september it will be 4x 8, mid september 8+8+10+10.
                  I might handle that progression if we were talking about city blocks instead of km. That's some serious workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                    Oh, HELL no. Lol

Comment

Just to give you an idea. It was so warm that day and we were SO tired! But it was worth it.

Those sunglasses are mesmerizing.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I might handle that progression if we were talking about city blocks instead of km. That's some serious workouts.
                        It's not that bad to be honest. Just begin simple and short with 2 or 3 kilometers. Walk when your body tells you that running is no longer wise. I've started to pick it up again and yesterday I topped out at 4KM; walked for one and ran the final Km. On sunday I'm betting that I'll manage 3km running, 200m walking, 3km running.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

Those sunglasses are mesmerizing.
                          her sunglasses are cool 'n all, but her eyes and smiles make my knees weak.

Comment

Hey Orpheo, I've PM'd you regarding pickup.
                            --------------------------------------------------------
                            1973 Aria 551
                            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

her sunglasses are cool 'n all, but her eyes and smiles make my knees weak.
                              Love her hair!! You need to make a guitar that is inspired by, and combines elements of her hair color and shirt.

Comment

Yes, indeed... She looks very attractive..
                                Beautiful smile and I do love the hair color!

Orpheo, not having the time or opportunity to read the whole thread, are there any others avail?
                                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                                X