Hanging Guitars on Walls - Effects on Neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
    Every rock star I know has a wall of guitars.
    And a guitar tec to keep them maintained. I keep all mine in the case when they are not being played period. Worked in Pawn Shops and a couple of guitar shops over the years and fought with the results of guitars hanging by the neck there. Don't treat my personal guitars that way!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
      I've got 12 hanging on the wall, and I haven't had any problems.
      This is pretty much where I'm at. I've had five guitars hanging by their necks in our basement (which ranges from 20 - 80% humidity over the year) and haven't had any problems in the ten or so years I've been hanging them there.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have about 30 guitars of all types on hangers -some for 15 years in the same spot -in a climate controlled space

-I have had no issues AT ALL... ever with this.

I put every thing out ready on hangers in the house and studio -because storing guitars in cases usually means I wont use it often or slows the creative process -plus all of guitars are tools that get used -I don't "collect" anything I'd be afraid to pull out and hand to someone or gig with.

Don't think twice about it if you have decent HVAC .

It's the best way to get stoked and play more.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I've hung the majority of my guitars on the wall since I started playing. In fact, my #1 has been hanging since the day I brought her home (2006). I have never experienced an issue with this method of storage and the guitars haven't needed adjustments any more often than my case queens. The biggest downside? They get dusty more quickly.

I get the idea of being more susceptible to humidity and temp changes by being "exposed", but I keep my house temps fairly similar year-round and I do keep the guitars away from windows and direct sun, which probably helps.

When I hear unfounded horror stories about how hanging guitars on walls hurts the instrument, I think about pretty much every guitar store ever to exist and quietly laugh to myself.

Hanging guitars on a wall is only dumb if they are hung low enough that "dumb" people can reach them

Comment

A guitar weighs a few pounds, the strings put around 100 pounds of tension on the neck. Think about it. That's taking away less tension than going down a string gauge. If you want to keep your guitar hung up, just adjust your truss rod accordingly.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

In 27+ years of playing, I have never had an issue with neck movement due to storage conditions on any of the 13 guitars I own. They all require an occasional tweak here and there. Temperature and humidity can make the neck move a little. It is wood after all.

I have a saying that most musicians don't like: " Musicians create 90% of their own problems... ". From being neurotic, careless, and self-indulgent to simply not being considerate, are all things that contribute to most all of the issues musicians have. On the stage, in your bedroom, and at your friends' house, you and you alone create your own issues. And that starts with not being willing to know your instrument. Take it apart, put it back together, find out what each thing does, why it does it, and how to fix it. At some point, it will need love beyond changing strings and wiping it down. The tools needed to do all standard maintenance are basic and easy to acquire.

Adjust the neck relief as needed and never look back.

Comment

OK, the best way to know if hanging it puts any force on the neck. Use a strobe tuner, hang it on the wall and see if the tuning changes any.

I know that the angle that you hold a guitar can affect tuning, like if its on its back lying on a table (or case), vs being held and played.

I would guess that hanging changes tuning less than guitar lying on its back.

Stories about damage from hanging or needing frequent adjustment probably from humidity or temperature changes. Also there is probably less oxygen exchange in a case so it may affect the way a guitar ages. I know that UV can cause guitars to fade or do other nasty things. And hanging on a wall, they do collect dust.

So all in all, a case is probably safest/ best for long term storage. I suspect after 20 years, a guitar hanging on the wall will look older than one that has been cased the whole time.

All mine are on a wall.

Comment

Make sure you secure the hanger to the wall properly, or your guitar will certainly go out of tune when it bounces of the floor!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Make sure you secure the hanger to the wall properly, or your guitar will certainly go out of tune when it bounces of the floor!
                    Find a stud
                    dont ancor in sheetrock

If you must put in the middle of the wall where no stud exists
                    Span a one by four across the studs
                    paint it to match the wall
                    Then mount hangers to the board
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Common Sense - How are guitars stored for sale at a store? New guitars come with a warranty. Warranty work has an additional cost to the manufacturer and or retailer. If hanging guitars were a problem, would it be allowed? Why would they leave their pocket open for additional problems? Just think about it...
                      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

The guitars at the store are hung mostly temporarily. And how else would you expect them to store their guitars? In the backroom and customers may only peruse some kind of a catalogue and point out the guitars they want to check out? Duh...

It's a guitar store; visual is key to attract people. Come on man...

Comment

Meh, we can argue about guitar stores all day, but there's a clear theme throughout this thread:

Hanging your guitar on the wall is perfectly fine and poses no concern to the guitar's integrity, even long term.

Just make sure your choice of hanger is mounted securely and keep the guitar(s) out of direct sunlight and away from direct sources of cold/heat when possible

Comment

Yes, do not hang below a vent.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                              I've hung the majority of my guitars on the wall since I started playing. In fact, my #1 has been hanging since the day I brought her home (2006). I have never experienced an issue with this method of storage and the guitars haven't needed adjustments any more often than my case queens. The biggest downside? They get dusty more quickly.

I get the idea of being more susceptible to humidity and temp changes by being "exposed", but I keep my house temps fairly similar year-round and I do keep the guitars away from windows and direct sun, which probably helps.

When I hear unfounded horror stories about how hanging guitars on walls hurts the instrument, I think about pretty much every guitar store ever to exist and quietly laugh to myself.

Hanging guitars on a wall is only dumb if they are hung low enough that "dumb" people can reach them
                              It's more than just dust. UV Light will cause many finishes to fade, the hanger itself with absolutely destroy some finishes, then there is the dust in the pots and corrosion of contacts if there is any humidity, plus risk of physical damage if there is any activity in the room. Mine have always stayed in the case and are stacked on the end .
                              This one is Nitro have owned it and gigged it often for 20+ years so--.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	MG 120 4.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	6095068
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Mine are all hanging now out of convenience. If I kept them in cases, they’d never get played.
                                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                                X