Gotoh Locking Nuts - Quality OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotoh Locking Nuts - Quality OK?

I've got a few Floyd builds coming to completion soon and need a few locking nuts.

Gotoh's are priced reasonably well below OFR's, any quality issues I need to know before buying?

Yes. Gotohs are better quality than Floyds.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I have 2 guitars with Gotoh GE1996T and the build quality and finish is above the Floyd 1000 Series I have. But on both I'm still using the locking nuts that came with the guitars and I haven't got any tuning issues. If you start from scratch with yours, just go with Gotoh hardware, you won't regret.

Comment

I'm finding Gotoh to be better than OFR by a significant margin. The locking nuts are at least similar but the trem units are better.

Comment

Are all the critical dimensions the same on a Gotoh Floyd Rose as a Schaller made original Floyd Rose?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Are all the critical dimensions the same on a Gotoh Floyd Rose as a Schaller made original Floyd Rose?
            Pretty much. The low to high E distance is 54mm on the Gotoh compared to 53 on the Floyd Rose. And the Gotoh studs are larger, if you swap an OFR for a Gotoh you'll have to pull out your drill bits set. Some people are reusing the Floyd studs, though I don't know what the long term results are. I wouldn't do that, especially since the Gotoh studs can be locked into place once you've adjusted the trem height, this and the tremolo arm are very well designed.
            Last edited by AdrianSD; 07-09-2021, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post

Pretty much. The low to high E distance is 54mm on the Gotoh compared to 53 on the Floyd Rose. And the Gotoh studs are larger, if you swap an OFR for a Gotoh you'll have to pull out your drill bits set. Some people are reusing the Floyd studs, though I don't know what the long term results are. I wouldn't do that, especially since the Gotoh studs can be locked into place once you've adjusted the trem height, this and the tremolo arm are very well designed.
              I see. So my OFR guitars may or may not like a swap, and my Warmoth body routed for OFR with studs installed also may not be happy.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Some adjustments may be required....
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Thanks much, most appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

I see. So my OFR guitars may or may not like a swap, and my Warmoth body routed for OFR with studs installed also may not be happy.
                    The only real difference is the studs width. I've widened the stud holes on 2 of my guitars that came with Floyds for the Gotoh studs and can't be happier with the outcome, if you're careful with picking up the right drill bit size and cautious when drilling you should be fine. I'm not a professional guitar player, nor a luthier, but a computer guy who likes fiddling with things and it didn't really look like a difficult job, took me more time to balance the bridge and intonate the bloody things But once set up they're both playing really well, the Gotoh trem is a really fine piece of engineering, they basically took an already great design and made it better. Side by side, the GE1996T is just another level.

Comment

So does anyone know if the Gotoh is a direct drop-in replacement for any of the Ibanez bridges? (specifically the edge-pro)

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                        So does anyone know if the Gotoh is a direct drop-in replacement for any of the Ibanez bridges? (specifically the edge-pro)
                        From what I've read, some dremel/router action may be required for a perfect fit. The Gotoh baseplate is wider on the treble side because of the arm mount.
                        Originally posted by dominus
                        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	trems-png.9797.png
Views:	261
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	6095299
                          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	trems-png.9797.png Views:	24 Size:	25.4 KB ID:	6095299
                            Thanks! I've wanted to see a chart like this for years, although looking at it I just learned everything I had not hoped for.
                            Looks like if you have an edge-pro you are basically stuck with it unless you do some routing. (no easy upgrades, only downgrades)
                            Edge-pro isn't really bad at all, it's just that I prefer the OG Edge and OFR(and probably the LO-pro too) over the EP.

I'm glad they included the OFR in the chart too. Very helpful chart.
                            Last edited by dave74; 07-11-2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

No problem, Dave74, glad I could be of help. Just feel bad tombe the bearer of bad news.
                              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
                              X