banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strings - What do you use for your Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings - What do you use for your Strat?

Really interested in gauge more than brand and in what type of music you make with it. I think I'm set on Elixirs.

dr pure blues 11-50, tuned e standard. i play blues/rock or at least those are the tones i go after. i like a round core, nickel string

Comment

D'Addario XLs, 9-42 tuned standard. In the band I am in, it is sort of an original jazzy blues thing.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Elixir Optiweb, 10-52 usually but I’m realizing I actually suck at guitar so I went down to 9-46 for a few months of intense practice. I float with 5 raw vintage springs usually. With the 9-46 I’m just letting it be decked for now.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

For my Strats that I play mostly blues on, Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42, for my Strats that have full humbuckers that I do the rock thing with, GHS Boomers 9-42.

Comment

My preference is for 9-42s on most of my guitars. I use D'addarios as they are readily available and I never have problems with them.

On a tele that currently has 10s I'd like to try a 9-46 set to see how they feel and sound.
            I will also be putting 10s on my Hamer Monaco whenever I eventually get around to changing strings next time. Probably won't want to change for my strats but will see once I have tried the 9-46 set.

I play rock, pop, blues, country and a variety of other bits and pieces depending on the mood.

Comment

9 to 42 XL 120's.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I own and regularly use 5 Fender Strats in standard tuning.

I use Ernie Ball’s .10-.46

I play a mix of rock, metal, punk, blues, doom.
                ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

10-52s (Elixir nanowebs). They don't feel floppy when riffing or picking hard, but they're light enough to bend comfortably for leads. Sound great too.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    10-52s (Elixir nanowebs). They don't feel floppy when riffing or picking hard, but they're light enough to bend comfortably for leads. Sound great too.
                    I swear, Elixirs should be subtitled as “Dad Strings”. When I have time to play, I want to play, not change dead strings.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

GHS Tremolo Boomers, 9 - 42. I bought 50 sets from a shop that was closing.

Edit: The Boomers are on my Kahler'd Strats. I am using Fender NPS 9 - 42 on my LE HM Strat because that is what it came with and I have not worked up the courage to adjust the Floyd if the change to Boomers requires it.
                      Last edited by JamesPaul; 07-09-2021, 06:50 PM.
                      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

for Fenders tuned A440 - 9's. 1/2 step down - 10's. almost always Ernie Balls.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

I swear, Elixirs should be subtitled as “Dad Strings”. When I have time to play, I want to play, not change dead strings.
                          Yes! They last at least three times as long as regular strings for me anyway, so it's not like I'm losing money on them. Just saving time.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I've used many brands and gauges and at least 50 tunings.
                            Currently:

9 for standard and Eb.
                            10 for Eb.
                            My favourite strat has an 8 set with a 10 subbed for the B string. I couldn't use anything lighter than 11's twenty years ago, that strat had 12 flatwounds at one point. I played very hard with loads of bending. I went lighter because all the players with great tone were using very light strings (Frank Marino for example). Also there was a dude on usenet, the late Rich Koerner of Time Electronics who would extoll the use of gauge 8s and slotted tuners.
                            I had to completely change my technique but the sound was worth it. As a side benefit I would probably have carpal tunnel if I stuck with the old strings lol.

GHS boomers or Elixers.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Yes! They last at least three times as long as regular strings for me anyway, so it's not like I'm losing money on them. Just saving time.
                              They feel weird to me, and they get little white flakes of coating all over the case and my clothes. This doesn't happen to most people, but I must have some acidic sweat.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X