banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strings - What do you use for your Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mincer
    replied
    Strings, coated or not, don't tend to last past 1 outdoor show here in Florida. The rest of the guitar is pretty icky after a summer show outside, so I'd rather save the money and change to cheaper strings as I clean the guitar.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ernie Ball Extra Slinky. I use those on ALL my guitars. Refer to the story Billy Gibbons tells about BB King playing his guitar. Long story short, why work harder than you have to.

Leave a comment:

• FuseG4
    replied
    9s are my favorite for standard e. You can play all day and bend far without it hurting. 10s sounds a little better but I feel like I have more control with 9s
    this is for like 60s and 70s blues rock and some 80s rock

For those who mentioned brand I've found fender bullets, and d'addario exl to work great.
    Last edited by FuseG4; 07-09-2021, 10:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. B
    replied
    D'Addario EXL 120+ 9.5-44 gauge. Feels more like 9's, but sounds more like 10's.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    I was using 10's as they stayed in tune very very well. But didn't sound quite like a strat. Now I use 9's on the '62 reissue and my MIM. My '66 I still use 10's but that one sounds stellar with any string i've tried. The pickups are in the 6k range, so it's bright. It's a great one to experiment with.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    They feel weird to me, and they get little white flakes of coating all over the case and my clothes. This doesn't happen to most people, but I must have some acidic sweat.
    The older polyweb coating was like this for sure. I remember it flaking, and it did feel really weird. The newer nanoweb and optiweb feel much more like just a new set of strings and I don't get the flaking thing, even when playing slide.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post

They feel weird to me, and they get little white flakes of coating all over the case and my clothes. This doesn't happen to most people, but I must have some acidic sweat.
    If I let them go way too long or really tremolo pick I can get it to start to flake, but for the most part I’m good. I prefer the tone of standard Slinky and XL, but convenience wins out!

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Yes! They last at least three times as long as regular strings for me anyway, so it's not like I'm losing money on them. Just saving time.

Leave a comment:

• Spaghetti Bolo
    replied
    I've used many brands and gauges and at least 50 tunings.
    Currently:

9 for standard and Eb.
    10 for Eb.
    My favourite strat has an 8 set with a 10 subbed for the B string. I couldn't use anything lighter than 11's twenty years ago, that strat had 12 flatwounds at one point. I played very hard with loads of bending. I went lighter because all the players with great tone were using very light strings (Frank Marino for example). Also there was a dude on usenet, the late Rich Koerner of Time Electronics who would extoll the use of gauge 8s and slotted tuners.
    I had to completely change my technique but the sound was worth it. As a side benefit I would probably have carpal tunnel if I stuck with the old strings lol.

GHS boomers or Elixers.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied
    Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

I swear, Elixirs should be subtitled as “Dad Strings”. When I have time to play, I want to play, not change dead strings.
    Yes! They last at least three times as long as regular strings for me anyway, so it's not like I'm losing money on them. Just saving time.

Leave a comment:

• Karloff
    replied
    for Fenders tuned A440 - 9's. 1/2 step down - 10's. almost always Ernie Balls.

Leave a comment:

• JamesPaul
    replied
    GHS Tremolo Boomers, 9 - 42. I bought 50 sets from a shop that was closing.

Edit: The Boomers are on my Kahler'd Strats. I am using Fender NPS 9 - 42 on my LE HM Strat because that is what it came with and I have not worked up the courage to adjust the Floyd if the change to Boomers requires it.
    Last edited by JamesPaul; 07-09-2021, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    10-52s (Elixir nanowebs). They don't feel floppy when riffing or picking hard, but they're light enough to bend comfortably for leads. Sound great too.
    I swear, Elixirs should be subtitled as “Dad Strings”. When I have time to play, I want to play, not change dead strings.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied
    10-52s (Elixir nanowebs). They don't feel floppy when riffing or picking hard, but they're light enough to bend comfortably for leads. Sound great too.

Leave a comment:

• Kac
    replied
    I own and regularly use 5 Fender Strats in standard tuning.

I use Ernie Ball’s .10-.46

I play a mix of rock, metal, punk, blues, doom.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X