banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Kramer Custom Graphics Collection - love it, hate it, meh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never owned a guitar with factory graphics. The closest was when I had a single Distortion in my black Stratocaster, which was in a Zebra skin graphic pickguard.

If I had to pick, no pun intended, one of these, it would be the Viper. Hot Rod would come in second as I like blue guitars and because ...Hot Wheels.
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I usually like graphics. Maybe these just need to grow on me.

Comment

I like the snakeskin; I can do without the other ones.

Comment

Not my style of graphics ....I prefer something like this...

Having said that ....I'd rock the multi-colored snakeskin one
          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            I wish Gibson would let this brand die and rest in peace.
            Well I'm glad they did'nt ..& from what I've heard the new one's are selling like hotcakes. They can't get them back in stock fast enough. It's about time Gibson had a break

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Why didn't Aceman tell us he was working at Kramer R&D?

Comment

Dean's graphic guitars are about as bad, too.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For hot-rod finishes, I like these better. 'Course they aren't as affordable...

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

If I were ever to get a hot rod graphic axe..

Dean MAB Armorflame.

\m/

Youtube

Comment

I had an old Charvel catalog from 85 that did graphic finishes so much better. Have we not learned anything? Is this the best companies can come up with now?
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Back in 85, and throughout the 80's really, there were actual artists / painters that were doing the graphics. These days, unless you are paying a premium, most graphics are simply decals made to look like painted graphics. That started back in the 90's when Fender had the Fotofinish Series with decal flamed maple tops. They were MIJ guitars, IIRC. Then Epiphone did the same with the Zack Wylde LP. I can about guarantee these Kramers are the same way. Cheaper to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post

Well I'm glad they did'nt ..& from what I've heard the new one's are selling like hotcakes. They can't get them back in stock fast enough. It's about time Gibson had a break
                          Glad they are selling for Gibson's sake. They need to up the QC on them though. And offer rosewood fretboards on the Barettas. Maple was an option back in the day but not widely seen. I'd rather go after an EVH 5150 Series or Striped Series 5150 if I wanted another Kramer-esque guitar.

Comment

As far as I know they do have rosewood (equivalent...panga panga or something) fret boards on the black and the white one's. I have MIJ Charvel's, Jackson's & Ibanez's and my $200 Indo Baretta special's play as good (a hell of a lot better, out of the box) as all of them.....completely stock and untouched. Their fit/finishes are pretty damn flawless as well, at least on the two I had & from what I've heard. I could (and did) literally pick them up out of the box, tune up (a bit lol) and shred as comfortably on them as any other well-set-up-for-fast-playing axe I own. They sound phenomenal too...not just for the price. Frankly, you don't see that with most $1000+ (and even some 1500+) guitars these days. And it's happened not once but twice, since I own two of them (and may soon own a third...the rosewood fingerboard models are calling out to me) ..so unless lightning strikes twice..

I think Gibson (who are known for turning near every brand they acquire to ****e) have done a great job with these Kramer's. And to have done so consistently at this price-point is pretty much unheard of. So hats off to them ....hope they keep it up. I'm not holding my breath though, that's why I'm going to keep stocking up on the Baretta Special's right now.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                              Back in 85, and throughout the 80's really, there were actual artists / painters that were doing the graphics. These days, unless you are paying a premium, most graphics are simply decals made to look like painted graphics. That started back in the 90's when Fender had the Fotofinish Series with decal flamed maple tops. They were MIJ guitars, IIRC. Then Epiphone did the same with the Zack Wylde LP. I can about guarantee these Kramers are the same way. Cheaper to make.
                              Well, tbh there were some pretty cheesy/fugly hand-painted guitar's around at the time.. some were completely hideous

I personally don't care how they make them as long as it's not detrimental to the way they sound and they look good. A couple of those Kramer's are passable....though I'd rather buy a Dean or Cort for graphics (I did actually )...

Youtube

Comment

The rosewood-ish option is on the Baretta Special. A much cheaper option without a Floyd and cheaper wood. These here are $1000 and the solid colors of the same are $700. These graphics specifically have maple fingerboards only just like the solid color Baretta (formerly the Baretta Vintage). I’ve tried a few of the Pacers and Baretta Vintages before and I wasn’t impressed. They didn’t feel solid. The finish on the body was ok but the necks felt awful.

And yeah, the 80’s certainly had its fair share of terrible paint jobs. No doubt about it. Dennis Kline certainly turned out a lot of gems though. Each one unique since he painted them all and no two are the same, even the Marilyn Monroe’s.

Comment

Working...
                                X