Ibanez Mikro mod options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Mikro mod options?

I picked up a Mikro for my son (turning 7 in a couple weeks). I already put locking tuners and string savers on it (had some in my parts bin). I have a pair of Duncan Designeds I’ll be putting in there next. It looks like it has mini pots, so I’m wondering if I have any coil splitting options? I’m thinking no… but would be interested in any wiring options.

Has anyone modded a Mikro? Seems kinda cheesy, but also kinda fun if I’m just using spare parts.

First thing: Put in a Switchcraft jack.

Mikro's make great guitars for kids OR adults. Do a search, good thread on here somewhere.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I'm tempted to put an Evertune I have lying around on mine. That would solve the multiple tuning issues

Comment

I'm tempted to put an Evertune I have lying around on mine. That would solve the multiple tuning issues
        Of course, you're kidding. What he's looking for is real info, not jokes.

Comment

No coil splitting options with mini pots that I can see, so prob just gonna go with a 5 way super switch (and Switchcraft jack). For ****s & giggles, will probably get a custom pickguard made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Anyone own a mikro guitar? - Seymour Duncan User Group Forums

Comment

I had a Squier Mini Strat that would not stay in tune or feel even remotely right in standard tuning until I put 11s on it.
              Slower tuning machines are a big help on short scale guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                I had a Squier Mini Strat that would not stay in tune or feel even remotely right in standard tuning until I put 11s on it.
                Once I installed the mini tuners on my PGM, I changed to 11's to "be on the safe side". Stripped the fun right out of the guitar, couldn't do bends for s**t.

Went back to factory string option (10-46) and I haven't looked back.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	icon.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	6097777

Comment

Whatever mods you'd do on any cheap guitar. Basically swap everything. You end up leaving the nut and frets though because that's too much work and won't end up as clean. You didn't mention changing the saddles, that can improve things.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                    Whatever mods you'd do on any cheap guitar. Basically swap everything. You end up leaving the nut and frets though because that's too much work and won't end up as clean. You didn't mention changing the saddles, that can improve things.
                    String savers were mentioned.

Comment

I found the pickups too hot in my Paul Gilbert Mikro and switched them to Lace Sensors.

Comment

I haven't worked with one of those, but have fixed up my share of cheapos and kids guitars.
                        I'd say that you should expect to replace the junk Chinese electronics. It's good you got acceptable pickups and don't need to spend on those. But do take a look at them and take note of the model number. If there are not quite good enough and have ceramic mags, you can always swap em for alnicos. Get a quality jack, decent 3-way selector switch and an Alpha A500K push/push pot to split both the hummers (if those DDs are 4-wired). I wouldn't go anything trickier with wiring than that to use than than a P/P pot for a kid that you want to focus on playing. I'd skip the bridge and/or saddle replacement, unless you end up loving this thing, then do it later. But since you are going for locking tuners, might as well swap the nut for a GraphTech Tusq XL.That will really help the tuning and the tone slightly.Then after the finish work (fret polish, fingerboard treatment, adjusting the truss rod and intonation), put in extra time to really dial in the pickup and screw height. Also, I'd start him on 10s and step down to 9s if he just can't handle 'em. 11s may solve an issue or two, but will be too much for those young fingers to use for sure.
                        BTW, that's a pretty cool looking guitar for a kid scale. Nice score!

Comment

Working...
                        X