NGD - Something green with EMG's :p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Something green with EMG's :p

Looks even cooler than I remembered and plays beautifully. Sweet ****in ' tone too

Looks like the pup's are indeed Retroactives of some kind. First thing I did was replace the battery though. The old one must've been in there about 4 years. Next up...string change (I can feel the rust on them)

Little clip....

The pup's sound an feel like (lightly boosted) passives which is what they are I guess. Really nice dynamics & clarity but open & fat with a bit of roundness to them as well...nothing like an 81 at all.

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Lol....something green

Looks like this one went into amp central by mistake. Mods kindly shift this to the guitar section?

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

When you are changing the strings pull the pickups. I bet they are Fat 55 based on your description. I’d like to try those and the Super 77s.

And do you believe everyone now about the Jack access panel?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Looks badass!!
        ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
        2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
        Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Really nice quilt on that top! Cool guitar, man!

Comment

This looks a little like a Brian Moore C90 from the late 90s or so...very nice!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              When you are changing the strings pull the pickups. I bet they are Fat 55 based on your description. I’d like to try those and the Super 77s.

What about the jack access plate?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks dudes...yeah, Mincer...it's got a top like a Brian Moore C90. Plays great and sounds great too but obviously at a fraction of the price . Still a pretty well spec'd guitar for what I paid (decent discount for it being in storage for years/displayed). Looks perfect though, apart from a few semi-rusty screws, so I'm really happy with it. Frets are perfect, action is low/slinky with no buzz whatsoever, stay's in perfect tune even with severe divebomb/whammy abuse lol. The finish is even more insane than it looks in the pics. I had it out in the sun yesterday for a bit & it really looked Spectacular. Kinda reminds me of the underside of a large alligator/crocodile ...it's kinda reptilian

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Oh, after googling a few Ibanez pics I believed everyone anyway (just did'nt say anything ). I just thought they maybe had the battery in there as well. My Ibby's are all Sabre's ..no jack plates on those..

As for the string change, I'm a bit ahead of you. Did that right after my last post with the video. Also I tune all my guitar's down half a step so I had to re-adjust the bridge springs to get the trem angle right. (What I was doing when I took the pics)

I'll check next time I need to change strings. But yeah, based on the tone I think you're probably right about them being Fat 55's...

Youtube

Comment

Re: the access plate

Battery boxes for EMG equipped guitars are dumb. A pair of humbuckers will last like 1500 hours. Really not the thing you need quick access for.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                    Re: the access plate

Battery boxes for EMG equipped guitars are dumb. A pair of humbuckers will last like 1500 hours. Really not the thing you need quick access for.
                    But the batteries only go bad at a show on the 2nd song of the 3rd set.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

haha ...**** happens.

Speaking of batteries....new battery, new strings, and just to keep things novel & exciting I switched the mid-bass boost on the amp from "on" to "off" for this one

lol..I really need a new backing track.

Youtube

Comment

Finally d/l 'd a couple of new YT backing tracks this morning..

So I thought I'd check them out & also take the opportunity to do a couple of comparisons (retroactives vs Blackouts) in the name of guitar science

First go's with the EMG Retro's & the second's with my Blackouts' Metal. It's pretty obvious that the Blackouts metal is far hotter & a bit more middy, but otherwise they're both fun 'tapping & shred' pickups.

The backing tracks about 6 min's long ..so after that comes 'V2' with the Blackouts Metal (also 6 mins )
                        Same setup as my last bunch of clips. Used my Laboga The beast 30 Plus head & Laney 2x12 w/ cheap chinese mic & Zoom G1x Four in the loop for a bit of delay/reverb..no other fx/studio magic lol.

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 08-01-2021, 12:21 AM.

Youtube

Comment

The things I do for guitar science ..sheesh

Time for more experimenting...

Swung the mic over a bit so it was pretty much dead centre 'cause I wanted a crisper sound with a bit more bite. I thought I'd have a go with one of the Kramer's too..cuz ..why not?

So now we expand the pool: No-name passive vs. Emg Fat 55 (checked & confirmed) vs. Blackouts Metal

Starting with the Kramer..

Then the two actives with the same mic placement..

Youtube

Comment

Nice amp

Looks cool

Comment

haha..well it's finally been moved to the guitar shop

More tone comparisons..

I thought ..(since this thread took a bit of a turn & is now all about guitar science) "Eh..since we're here ..why not compare JB clone's??" ..so I did

No-name Kramer

Vs. Dean/DMT Baker Act.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X