banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Of course vintage picks are better… (Eric Johnson)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dave74
    replied
    I agree with Eric on the casters. Depends on the floor but generally I like cabs directly coupled for the thicker lows and lower-mids it provides.

Leave a comment:

• esandes
    replied
    Eric Johnson is very discerning. He's a tone hound. I recall an interview I read where he said he removes cabinet casters and keeps the cabinet directly on the stage floor to produce a wider frequency spread. Brilliant guy.

Leave a comment:

• dave74
    replied
    Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

You can kind of see here:

Oh OK those are the standard JPs.

People should give those Trinity picks a try. They're really good for fast alt-picking and they are 3in1.

From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    Originally posted by dave74 View Post

You talking about the JP Trinity picks?

I really like those and they last forever with the material and three tips each.
    My all-around pick of choice is the carbon-fiber max-grip Jazz3 but sometimes I like the change of the Trinity and it's very easy to go back and forth between those two types.
    You can kind of see here:

Leave a comment:

• dave74
    replied

The Petrucci picks are a little bigger than standard Jazz III.
    You talking about the JP Trinity picks?

I really like those and they last forever with the material and three tips each.
    My all-around pick of choice is the carbon-fiber max-grip Jazz3 but sometimes I like the change of the Trinity and it's very easy to go back and forth between those two types.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    Where does Bonamassa weight in on this issue? As in he has these too, right?
    They have a "JB" on them, which makes them completely different.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Where does Bonamassa weight in on this issue? As in he has these too, right?

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    Originally posted by devastone View Post
    I like the Jazz III XLs, the regular Jazz IIIs just feel too small to me.

But, my tastes change every few weeks, I'm back on a Delrin 351 kick now.
    Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    I bought a handful of Jazz picks just to try them, not expensive or anything, and I just looked at one now and it's an Eric Johnson TX pick. Wow, so I'm in the vintage club, accidentally. What I can report is the sucker is too small and constantly gets ripped out of my fingers by the strings, similar to using a coin on my Brian May Guitar (have to totally change my playing to make it all work). If it were a little bigger, it would be perfect, for me. But then I also have the credit card punch kit to make my own picks, so I use all kinds, depending on the sound, weight of strings, kind of music, etc. For example, I change thickness/pliability of picks based on the tempo of the songs; for the same reason I change length and weight of drumsticks on my drums based on the tempo of the song. Makes the resistance/liveliness match the speed I have to play, so it ends up feeling consistent/constant to me.
    The Petrucci picks are a little bigger than standard Jazz III.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    I bought a handful of Jazz picks just to try them, not expensive or anything, and I just looked at one now and it's an Eric Johnson TX pick. Wow, so I'm in the vintage club, accidentally. What I can report is the sucker is too small and constantly gets ripped out of my fingers by the strings, similar to using a coin on my Brian May Guitar (have to totally change my playing to make it all work). If it were a little bigger, it would be perfect, for me. But then I also have the credit card punch kit to make my own picks, so I use all kinds, depending on the sound, weight of strings, kind of music, etc. For example, I change thickness/pliability of picks based on the tempo of the songs; for the same reason I change length and weight of drumsticks on my drums based on the tempo of the song. Makes the resistance/liveliness match the speed I have to play, so it ends up feeling consistent/constant to me.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied
    I like the Jazz III XLs, the regular Jazz IIIs just feel too small to me.

But, my tastes change every few weeks, I'm back on a Delrin 351 kick now.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I've been using Jazz IIIs (or very similar picks) for all my strumming for years with no problem, and I play a lot of fast funk stuff. Even with my acoustic. There's a slight adjustment from a regular pick but they get quite comfortable with practice.
    I just prefer lighter Tortex or Cellulose for strumming. I’m seeing if I can make these sharp Hetfields my “standard”
    pick. I’ve been practicing a lot of heavy rhythm and lead stuff which them and Jazz III work great for, but those raking blues styles I’m still more comfortable with a more rounded, larger pick tip. I’m sure with practice I can adapt, but 25 years of playing is a long time. :P

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied
    I also got some regular Jazz III, great for precise picking but not for strumming.
    I've been using Jazz IIIs (or very similar picks) for all my strumming for years with no problem, and I play a lot of fast funk stuff. Even with my acoustic. There's a slight adjustment from a regular pick but they get quite comfortable with practice.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I think it depends on your goals. While I love to listen to good bluegrass players, there are no reasons why I'd want to sound like them. Bluegrass is a very specific technique, and their picking developed because they needed volume. So, strong attacks, careful attention to the strong beat and cross picking developed because they had to compete with a very loud banjo. That isn't my goal, so my acoustic technique developed in a different way (my sound did, too). I understand if you are going for a very traditional sound, it would make sense to see how it was done, and copy it ("no need to re-invent the wheel").
    My personal choices with picks (and how I pick) is something I had to figure out, as there was no roadmap. As it is, I don't think 'signature picks' take off in quite the same way as 'signature guitars and amps'.
    Agree 100%. I’m still new to BG, and I usually hate purism, but 13s on a dreadnought and a thick, beveled pick is pretty much the way to do that sound.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

I agree, but especially on acoustic instruments, I pay a lot of attention to what the top players are using. When I’m playing bluegrass guitar or mandolin, there’s the instrument, the strings, the pick, and my hands. The pick’s role in the equation is infinitely larger, and what I’m going for in bluegrass is a lot more similar to what everyone else is: speed and clarity.

If Bryan Sutton, Chris Thile, Billy Strings, Ronnie McCoury, etc… are all using D’Addario strings and BlueChip picks, I’m gonna try those.
    I think it depends on your goals. While I love to listen to good bluegrass players, there are no reasons why I'd want to sound like them. Bluegrass is a very specific technique, and their picking developed because they needed volume. So, strong attacks, careful attention to the strong beat and cross picking developed because they had to compete with a very loud banjo. That isn't my goal, so my acoustic technique developed in a different way (my sound did, too). I understand if you are going for a very traditional sound, it would make sense to see how it was done, and copy it ("no need to re-invent the wheel").
    My personal choices with picks (and how I pick) is something I had to figure out, as there was no roadmap. As it is, I don't think 'signature picks' take off in quite the same way as 'signature guitars and amps'.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Picks matter to me, too, but I don't generally care what EJ or any other guitar hero likes. A pick isn't like a guitar...it is a lot more personal.
    I agree, but especially on acoustic instruments, I pay a lot of attention to what the top players are using. When I’m playing bluegrass guitar or mandolin, there’s the instrument, the strings, the pick, and my hands. The pick’s role in the equation is infinitely larger, and what I’m going for in bluegrass is a lot more similar to what everyone else is: speed and clarity.

If Bryan Sutton, Chris Thile, Billy Strings, Ronnie McCoury, etc… are all using D’Addario strings and BlueChip picks, I’m gonna try those.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X