Basic Tuning Machine Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Tuning Machine Questions

I’ve got a neck with a blank peghead that I’m going to put on a Warmoth Strat body. Some really basic questions:

Is there an advantage to machine heads secured with 1 or 2 posts instead of a tab/extension with a screw?

Is a 12:1 ratio good enough or is a 16:1 or 18:1 really an improvement?

Are 2 post heights - one for wound and shorter for unwound strings - good enough or would 3 staggered heights be an improvement? I’d like to avoid a string tree but don’t know if that’s likely.

I know that there can be passionate debate regarding locking tuners; however, that is what I would like on this guitar. I can spend $50 on a Fender branded set, a bit more for Hipshot, about $100 for Sperzels, or $150 for Schallers. Since this may replace my primary electric guitar, I don’t mind spending money if there’s a long-term quality advantage. Any advice there?

Thanks in advance,
    Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Higher ratios are an improvement...so 19:1 is better than 12:1. As far as if it is better with the tab- that doesn't affect the mechanics of the tuner, just how it is mounted. I just built a Warmoth, and I went with a Hipshot open gear locking tuner. It has a high ratio, it looks cool, and can be mounted with this mounting plate that assures they will all be in a perfectly straight line. If I ever need to switch them out, they leave no other holes (no tab required). Being open gear, they are lighter than Schallers or Sperzels, as I was afraid of the guitar being neck heavy (it isn't). The Hipshots cost about $80.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

as Mincer said above
      the higher the ratio (19:1 vs 12:1) gives a finer adjustment and that is better
      tabs or screws, not that important they keep the tuner from spinning under load
      locking tuners are nice, I put them on my acoustics because it speeds up string changes
      open gear may be more prone to collect dust, I'm not sure if that is empirical, but that is my guess
      if you are doing six inline with no tiltback, staggered tuner post may be able to eliminate the tree
      the high E and B strings are the most likely to need the lower post so three sizes are not necessarily better than two
      Ernie Ball got around it by doing a 4x2 headstock
      this moves the two high strings closer to the nut and increasing the break angle over the nut
      if you have a blank this may an option as well as 3x3
      give it some thought...
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
      X