Drop tunings and small acoustic guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop tunings and small acoustic guitars

Is it pointless to do drop tunings on small acoustic guitars? I heard you can only do them on medium or large gauge strings which large acoustics like dreadnaught and jumbo can only handle.

Drop tunings are lower tension. Look at the medium gauge strings most acoustics use. Just tune them down. I often have my acoustic a step or two down. I see no reason why you can’t do that. You might not get as much low end, but you don’t need that on an a guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Define small acoustic guitar. It all comes down to tension. String gauge can help vary tension as well. Are you chasing a sound or a pitch? Guitar woods can vary the sound so consider that if it is a "sound" you are chasing. In summary, you can detune anything so long as it is reasonable.
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Smaller bodied guitars won't produce as much bass, so may not give you the effect you're looking for with the lower tuning. If you're dropping the tuning you're lowering the tension, so can probably fit heavier strings than are recommended for the guitar.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

There are fingerstyle players who exclusively play baritone acoustics, and it is amazing. The California Guitar Trio plays in a 5ths-type tuning, CGDAEG, and it is really wonderful.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There are plenty of classical pieces in drop-D tunings. My little Yamaha classical handles the tuning just fine.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
            X