George L cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George L cables

I bought a new cable, used it for a few minutes then the cable started shorting in and out intermittently. I hope the pickups and amp are ok.

Not impressed. $55.

Two out of three of my monster rock cables are dead. Those were expensive too.

Are Dimarzio cables good? I need soldered ends.

Steve Vai has $200 cables from Dimarzio. Silver solder.

Discuss.
    Last edited by esandes; 07-31-2021, 11:38 AM.

George Ls have a set screw that makes contact with the ground or sheild of the cable

Dont over tighten that screw

If it contacts the ground and the center conductor
    It shorts and makes no sound

Loosen the screw , and remove the cable from the jack

Clip off one half inch ,12 mm of the cable

Do not strip the cable

Shove it back into the jack and retighten the screw

EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yes, George L's should be easy to fix with no soldering. I have one, too, and this happens every year or so. Monster cables usually have a lifetime warranty, don't they?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
        I bought a new cable, used it for a few minutes then the cable started shorting in and out intermittently. I hope the pickups and amp are ok.
        Have you ever had a faulty cable harm the pickups or amp? I sure haven’t.

The best cable I own is a DiMarzio braided. Got it over 20 years ago, still works like a charm. It has the clearest sound of any cable I’ve used, as well.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I traded it in for one of these...
          http://accessories.yorkville.com/cab...nt/studio_one/

The specs are decent.

Mincer, if they do have a lifetime warranty I bought the cables from a shop no longer in business. I wonder if the factory can replace them. They sound really good.

I wonder about the differences between the monster rock, dimarzio vai and the cable I just bought.
          Last edited by esandes; 07-31-2021, 03:07 PM.

Comment

George L cables have quite low capacitance and don’t load down your guitar’s signal. However, getting that set screw adjusted so that it contacts the shield (ground) and not the conductor (signal) can be a bit finicky. Over years, I’ve had a couple George L plugs delaminate and that’s not good.

spending $200 on a guitar cable… would you like to buy a bridge? I’ve got a great one right over here …. You can solder your own or get Performance Audio to make one custom. Mogami 2524 cable is fine. Neutriks plugs are great - if you put a Neutrik “silent plug” on one end so it goes quiet whenever you pull the plug out of your guitar.
            Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
            Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
            Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
            SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
            SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
            "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
              I bought a George L's sample pack once. They ended up in the trash.
              The 18' version in Canada is $165 CDN.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                I traded it in for one of these...
                http://accessories.yorkville.com/cab...nt/studio_one/

The specs are decent.

Mincer, if they do have a lifetime warranty I bought the cables from a shop no longer in business. I wonder if the factory can replace them. They sound really good.

I wonder about the differences between the monster rock, dimarzio vai and the cable I just bought.
                Send them a message, or even, contact them on social media. Post a pic of it. I bet they will make it right.

Comment

I bought a George L's sample pack once. They ended up in the trash.
                  They are generally as good as the connections the end user makes. I like them, but I do have to re-tighten them (and in some cases fix) them every year. Their regular instrument cables are great but are tangle prone.

Comment

Yeah. I can solder or crimp 26AWG RGB cable with BNC connectors all day long, but I couldn't make George L's work.
                    Dang that must hurt
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Semi-relatedly, I'm frustrated with cables as well.

I recently got a Planet Waves Am Stage cable with a right angle plug. Brand new, the signal was EXTREMELY quiet and dark. Did some reading, and found there was probably an issue with one of the plugs. Figured out which one, crimped the shield connector tighter, and it was full volume. Decided to clip the end and resolder it, and it's doing the same damn thing again. That's what I get for not just buying another of the DiMarzio braided cable that's still kicking after 20 years.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

It is really frustrating when a patch cable goes bad on stage, and you realize it could be any one of 10 small cables. No time to diagnose, you just bypass the whole thing (specially if the pedals are zip-tied to the board, and there is no way to unplug the pedals without getting the pedal off the board).

Comment

10yrs or so ago I bought 4 PW american stage cables, all straight end jacks. That time they relatively new in the market. Till date none have gone bad. If the recent ones are going bad then that's a shame, they are covered under lifetime warranty but still sucks.

For patch cables & everyday home use instrument cable, I bought a lower priced long length planet waves classic instrument cable & got around 20 or more amphenol plugs from element14, hacked the cable to various desired length of the patch cables & solder the plugs on them. So far my patch cables haven't failed on me but the instrument cable did after 5yrs or so due to rough use at home, fixing it was simple though.

I key thing when making patch cables is to not make them so short that there is unwanted continuous stress due to bending of the cable from pedal placement. This becomes more important with the solderless ones cause they will fail quicker due to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X