Mismatched tuner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mismatched tuner

My “replica” Les Paul has 5 real Gibson Keystones, and one Fender Kluson (A string). This was a short term fix, when the garbage Gibson tuner crapped out.

I was going to get a set of Gotohs with Keystone keys, but I’m thinking maybe I just use it this way for now. It looks goofy, but is functional. I also have 5 Schaller somethings I took off a PRS. It would look less goofy with one of those than the Fender, but still grossly mismatched.

Currently, the guitar has an extremely worn nickel T-Top in the bridge, a black/white ‘59 in the neck, and a gold tailpiece with 90% of the plating chipped off, so the odd-ball tuner isn’t exactly the only mutt part.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

That would throw my OCD into a fit

I would get some guyker tuners off Amazon for 30 bucks
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

If I put any money into it, it’ll be the same Gotohs with Keystone keys I put on my PRS. They’re cheap, like $45, and I’ve never been disappointed by Gotoh.

I’m pretty blown away by how crappy the Gibson stamped ones are, though. The Fenders are the same style tuner, and they all work great.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

*sigh*

If I fix the tuner, then I'm gonna have to get a more complementary-looking pickup, and replace the stop bar, as well. Then I'll feel obligated to put a plastic tip on the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
          *sigh*

If I fix the tuner, then I'm gonna have to get a more complementary-looking pickup, and replace the stop bar, as well. Then I'll feel obligated to put a plastic tip on the switch.
          Yeah, I think everyone needs to have a mutt in their stable.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

The Gibson tuners are crappy
            thats five to one
            One crappy tuner has already decided to bail out
            Ditch thise free loading rascals
            You can age the new ones

Buff them with some steel wool
            and pult them in a closed container with som vinegar
            Not in the vinegar just where the fumes can get to them

Then wha-la
            Aged tuners
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I'd throw lightweight open locking tuners on there, hopefully with a higher ratio than stock.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, I'd have to change them all, too.

Plus, any guitar I *know* has crap tuners gets an upgrade out of the gate. No hesitation, no question...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I'd throw lightweight open locking tuners on there, hopefully with a higher ratio than stock.
                  I had a guitar with the Hipshot open tuners and didn’t really like them. The tuners on my PRS 305 have the locking screw on top, which I think I prefer.

Comment

Every tuner should be of high-quality but unique from any other.
                    They should even print two or three word messages on them like those little heart candies people buy for Valentine's Day. ("practice more","you suck","Jimi rulez" ect..)

Comment

If it's dead-nuts reliable, leave it as is. If it's not...
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                        If it's dead-nuts reliable, leave it as is. If it's not...
                        The Fender tuner is fine, but I don’t trust the rest of the Gibbies not to fail.

Gonna go whole hog and give it a makeover. New bar, pickup, and tuners.

Comment

Working...
                        X