banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did we already talk about rubber bridges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I agree. But outside of a few lead singers, they never 'took off' among the virtuoso crowd.
    I said Hipster, not virtuoso!
    Hipsters always have money to burn, and are constantly looking for 'the next trend', so the small builder marketplace naturally gears towards them.
    They are a match made for each other...constant consumption drives markets and production.
    Offset guitars were a Huge 'thing' in the past decade.
    For hipsters. For the market with the money to burn and are defined by trends.
    And Wilco, tho I would not call hipster, is certainly a 'North Star' to a lot of hipsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Drak View Post

I said Hipster, not virtuoso!
      Hipsters always have money to burn, and are constantly looking for 'the next trend', so the small builder marketplace naturally gears towards them.
      They are a match made for each other...constant consumption drives markets and production.
      Offset guitars were a Huge 'thing' in the past decade.
      For hipsters. For the market with the money to burn and are defined by trends.
      And Wilco, tho I would not call hipster, is certainly a 'North Star' to a lot of hipsters.
      Totally agree with this. Ergonomically, a Jazzmaster can be a nightmare. Weird switching and really terrible tremolo. But, hey...tradition!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Totally agree with this. Ergonomically, a Jazzmaster can be a nightmare. Weird switching and really terrible tremolo. But, hey...tradition!
        I think you hit the nail on the head here; the traditional Fender offsets are pretty clunky because of the weird trems and overly complicated electronics. The stripped down Squier offsets that have come out recently with hard tail bridges make a lot more sense.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I don't get the offset hate?
          I don't own one because I like & play Gibson-type guitars but I have always thought Jazzmasters and Jaguars were the best looking and most comfortable Fender guitars?
          Years ago I played in a band with a guy who played a Jazzmaster. We put a bright humbucker under the bridge pickup cover and it sounded great to me. Blended well with the SG I played at the time. When I switched to an ES-335 it looked great because both our guitars were tobacco burst, so we were visually coordinated but not too matchy-matchy.
          But yeah, if I had to get one I'd prefer the newer versions without the odd wiring.

Comment

Just ran across this as I check out Paste Studios' YT channel occasionally.
            Solo (female) singer-songwriter seems to be the target niche market for these rubber bridges.
            She talks about it a little around the 7:00 min. mark.
            She loves it, says it works perfectly for her gig.

Comment

Most of those were over-romanticized by guitar magazines for the last 30 years. I know of no seriously good player who uses a Jazzmaster outside of photoshoots, and even in the time they were 'new', the guitarists didn't like them (yes, they were pitched to jazz players, who avoided them).

That one has played by a couple decent players on fairly well known songs

Comment

Maybe Joe used it on that tune, I don't know. There isn't a sound on there that I can say 'that right there is a Jazzmaster', and he didn't use one live. It isn't a terrible guitar, just other instruments tend to do everything else better.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                X