Ibanez RG421HPFM Feedback Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG421HPFM Feedback Issue

Hey, I've owned the new Ibanez RG421HPFM for over a month now, but I've been having a weird feedback problem. If I crank the volume on my amp to around 3, I get feedback that I haven't got from my other guitars, its an annoying hum and a high screech feedback

Has the factory pickups: DiMarzio Air Norton and Tone Zone pickups, 3-way pickup and coil tap switch. I'm using a EVH 5150 III 50 Watt head with a Marshall 1960A and a simple pedalboard. The feedback is present whenever I'm not playing the strings, and only at high volumes. Its really annoying when jamming because I have to turn up loud to be able to hear myself over the drums, and when playing shows its annoying because during pauses all you can hear is that feedback. I'm wondering whether or not it could be because of poor wiring, or if its just the pickups? If anyone has experience with wiring, pickups (these ones in particular preferably) or eliminating feedback, any theories/suggestions would be great.

Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Usually that is caused by improper gain staging. Is it just guitar>amp? Or are there any boost pedals? What happens if you turn down the preamp gain, or change the location of the amp in the room?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Are you sure it's feedback and not simply that the guitar isn't shielded (or not grounded) properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Charvel1975 View Post
        Hey, I've owned the new Ibanez RG421HPFM for over a month now, but I've been having a weird feedback problem. If I crank the volume on my amp to around 3, I get feedback that I haven't got from my other guitars, its an annoying hum and a high screech feedback

Has the factory pickups: DiMarzio Air Norton and Tone Zone pickups, 3-way pickup and coil tap switch. I'm using a EVH 5150 III 50 Watt head with a Marshall 1960A and a simple pedalboard. The feedback is present whenever I'm not playing the strings, and only at high volumes. Its really annoying when jamming because I have to turn up loud to be able to hear myself over the drums, and when playing shows its annoying because during pauses all you can hear is that feedback. I'm wondering whether or not it could be because of poor wiring, or if its just the pickups? If anyone has experience with wiring, pickups (these ones in particular preferably) or eliminating feedback, any theories/suggestions would be great.
        You said you are running thru a pedalboard. Try taking the pedalboard out of the signal path temporarily to see if the problem still happens.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

***Update*** Well I had to wind up returning the guitar to Sweetwater, was having bad issues with high action even after I paid Sweetwater to do the setup and had high pitch feedback; The feedback and noise was present whenever I was not playing the strings, it was completely unplayable because of this.
          Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

Did you order a replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Did you order a replacement?
              I did, a Charvel ProMod DK24 HH 2PT CM Quilt Chlorine Burst

Comment

I did, a Charvel ProMod DK24 HH 2PT CM Quilt Chlorine Burst
                That's one awesome color.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

That's one awesome color.
                  Yea it is a nice guitar but unboxing revealed no whammy bar and all necessary tools and the string tree for the D & G strings was not even installed at the factory and tone pot couldn't move between 9 and 10 positions so it's getting returned.

Comment

Yea it is a nice guitar but unboxing revealed no whammy bar and all necessary tools and the string tree for the D & G strings was not even installed at the factory and tone pot couldn't move between 9 and 10 positions so it's getting returned.
                    Oh man, that sucks. You gonna get another one, or look for something else from another company?

Comment

Sorry, but have to ask these questions -Were'd you buy it? Are you sure it's not knockoff Ibanez with fake Dimarzio unpotted pickups?

This may sound like a crazy thought, but google the knockoff guitars and pickups coming in these days -they exist in the market all over.

And a guitar that feeds back way way too much is sometimes got knock off pickups causing it
                      Last edited by NegativeEase; 10-17-2021, 04:32 PM.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

That tone pot in that Charvel is actually a No-Load pot. Try moving it a bit harder, since there should be a detente between 9 and 10, with 10 getting the tone pot out of the circuit.
                        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

The no-load tone pot is a great idea and one that I would like to see become more common. It's a tone pot when you want one and not a tone pot when you don't.
                          I wish you couldn't 'feel' the change, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                            That tone pot in that Charvel is actually a No-Load pot. Try moving it a bit harder, since there should be a detente between 9 and 10, with 10 getting the tone pot out of the circuit.
                            This is true. It'll click when turning from 9 to 10.

If you don't like the click, replace it with another no load tone pot. Or with a regular tone pot that you've modded. I've modded two regular pots to be no load and if I can do it, anyone can. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBLp53iNCf4
                            Use nail polish or what I did was scrape off the contact with a small flathead screwdriver.
                            Volume pots cannot be no load.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                              Sorry, but have to ask these questions -Were'd you buy it? Are you sure it's not knockoff Ibanez with fake Dimarzio unpotted pickups?

This may sound like a crazy thought, but google the knockoff guitars and pickups coming in these days -they exist in the market all over.

And a guitar that feeds back way way too much is sometimes got knock off pickups causing it

I had ordered it through Sweetwater Music

Comment

Working...
                              X