banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone reverse-angle their strat's bridge pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone reverse-angle their strat's bridge pickup?

Hello all.

I was wondering if placing a strat's bridge pickup in a reverse angle makes a difference in sound when using a single-coil sized humbucker, or, in my case, a red lace sensor.

The guitar in question is a MIJ Floyd Rose strat, btw.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

I would assume any change in position would change the sound. I've never tried this with a single-sized humbucker, but I have with a normal single coil, and it is indeed different.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’ve done the same as Mincer, and agree. If you’re curious about it, it’s worth trying. Plus, it looks cool.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I think the reverse slant is the way a stock Strat should be- it helps knock down the high end a bit.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've used the Reds before. You probably wouldn't want to reverse slant it from my experience. The effect you get from reversing the of the bridge pickup is more highs on the high strings and more bass on the low strings. It's kind of subtle though, about as pronounced as reversing the angle at which you strum the strings
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
            I've used the Reds before. You probably wouldn't want to reverse slant it from my experience. The effect you get from reversing the of the bridge pickup is more highs on the high strings and more bass on the low strings. It's kind of subtle though, about as pronounced as reversing the angle at which you strum the strings
            I've done a reverse with an overwound single coil. It was a little bit warmer on the GBE strings and a little twangier on the EAD strings. Not a huge change, and definitely not some tonal nirvana worth routing a larger cavity. If you want to try it, do it for the price of a new pickguard.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

IThe effect you get from reversing the of the bridge pickup is more highs on the high strings and more bass on the low strings.
              Do you mean the opposite of that?
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

i have a handful of guitars with reverse angle bridge pup. warmer skinny strings and tighter sounding fat strings. its not a huge difference but its very noticeable and i like it with every pup ive tried

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

Do you mean the opposite of that?
                  Yees
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Do yourself a favor and replace the pickup and keep the same positioning as Leo intended. What sound qualities are you looking for?

I have used that pickup.

Comment

It does everything you want out of a lower output pickup.
                      With something thicker and hotter it might not be quite so good as you do want the bite from the top strings.....although its mainly the 2 E strings that get the most benefit/change. The pickup is barely moving for the middle 2.

Comment

Is the inherent voicing of the Red sensor unsuitable for positioning it in this manner?
                        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

The pickup I've clocked up the most time on is a reverse slant Fender nocaster bridge. I thought it felt better to play and it does sound different. I can't say it sounds better.

My current thought however, is that no angle might be the best. Reverse slant maybe thins out the low E just a little too much. Leo Fender himself dropped the slanted concept with the Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Bass VI/Jazzbass etc.

I remember that the custom shop used to make a single sized humbucking Tele pickup for Billy Gibbons that was installed in a custom straight slotted tele bridge.

Another concept that I will try soon is to keep the reverse slant but move the pickup further away from the bridge to fatten up the low E and further soften the plain strings just for experiments sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I think the reverse slant is the way a stock Strat should be- it helps knock down the high end a bit.
                            I’ve often wondered why it wasn’t angled that way from the start. It makes sense to me….

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

I’ve often wondered why it wasn’t angled that way from the start. It makes sense to me….
                              Back in the 50's, in order to cut through, it had to be that way to be heard. Everything electric guitar was so new that Leo engineered it to work in the situations of the time.

I've thought about having a pickguard made for my Squier Classic Vibe with the reverse slant bridge. I don't want to have to drill holes on it though. I'd rather it be a drop in replacement. But at the same time I like how it looks and plays now so I'm going to leave it as-is.

Comment

Working...
                              X