Humidity levels & setup issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity levels & setup issues

Last week I picked up a Squier Thinline Telecaster with two humbuckers. Funny, because I played this guitar in the store last year and it was still there last week. Meant to be! It rocks. The thing is, I bought it in my humid homeland of Oklahoma and brought it back to my dry home of Colorado. I don't know the RH of either the store or my music room, but the guy at the guitar store told me I should wait a while before doing a setup because the wood will contract in the dryness. He's more of a salesman than anything else, so I thought I'd check here. Is this accurate and if so, how long is a reasonable time to wait? I can see the dryness potentially causing some fret sprout, what else could change setup-wise?

I'll probably take it to a pro so they can cut the nut for .10s (it's pinging with .09s already) and do a full setup. Obviously antsy and excited to get this done!

The guitar has a maple neck and, depending on the ad, either a popular or soft maple body. Here's one such ad on the guitar:
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

theres no reason you cant set it up now, but you may need to give the trussrod a quick tweak in a bit once things have adjusted to the new environment.

Comment

I don't mind adjusting relief. That's an easy one. I guess I'd be more concerned about fret issues but just haven't had many issues with my guitars changing much in this dry land, even the couple of axes that migrated with me from humid to dry.
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

Yes, it will dry out in Colorado. Adjusting the truss rod is no big deal, but watch for fret sprout if the fingerboard dries out. That will require a repair guy.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Yes, it will dry out in Colorado. Adjusting the truss rod is no big deal, but watch for fret sprout if the fingerboard dries out. That will require a repair guy.
          Agreed. I you have a humidity issue the fretboard will be the most likely weak point as the wood can shrink, but the fret wires cannot.

Comment

How much time would it take for fret sprout to show? Weeks, years, or does it just vary?

Comment

Weeks, mostly.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
              X