Jazzmaster, Strat, or Tele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    nels also uses a fair amount of pedals to color his tone. i did enjoy the fact he had to fix his tuning mid song
    I saw that too. I'm always impressed by someone who can correct an out of tune string on the fly.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

ive had to do that a bunch of times over the years, usually it gets the tuning close enough to finish the song but i always check again once the song finishes. i was more commenting on the jazzmaster not even staying in tune for a full song

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
        To your point: did anyone notice if the switches on that guy's JM in the Wilco video were set in a way where we weren't hearing the pickups in their normal mode ?
        His rhythm/lead slider switch is in the down position for the whole video, which would normally mean it's in neck only loaded down pots 'rhythm' mode . . . but he also switches the lower toggle from neck to bridge just before the solo and it definitely sounds like a bridge pickup with the tone rolled off. I think he has just reversed the rhythm/slider switch so that down is normal 'lead' mode.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

or disabled the rhythm circuit

Comment

or disabled the rhythm circuit
            Yep. Always a popular mod for those who don't feel the need for a 'mud' switch. :P

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

What's a solid example of a famous song where you can hear the tone of a Jazzmaster guitar clearly? A song that is on Youtube so i can take a listen to it. I ask cuz I am not sure what the "classic Jazzmaster tone" sounds like.
              Dinosaur Jr.
              sonic youth

two bands that are exclusively jazzmaster

Comment

ive had to do that a bunch of times over the years, usually it gets the tuning close enough to finish the song but i always check again once the song finishes. i was more commenting on the jazzmaster not even staying in tune for a full song
                Ahh, JM's don't hold tune well, gotcha. Is that due to that funky vbrato bridge design?
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Yep. Always a popular mod for those who don't feel the need for a 'mud' switch. :P
                  Mud mode works a lot better if you add a treble bleed and turn the tone control into a bass cut.
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Ahh, JM's don't hold tune well, gotcha. Is that due to that funky vbrato bridge design?
                    It holds tune just as well as any non-locking vibrato. They are just known for hopping out of tune if you whack a string out of its slot, that's why most people replace the saddles with ones from a Mustang
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

It holds tune just as well as any non-locking vibrato. They are just known for hopping out of tune if you whack a string out of its slot, that's why most people replace the saddles with ones from a Mustang
                      The newer Fender I test drove had a tune-o-matic bridge paired with the classic tremolo
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I just think there are better bridges out there (especially for live playing). I don't want to fiddle with an old design when performing. I see no reason to have parts on the guitar that 'sorta' work well- I don't care much about tradition.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

The newer Fender I test drove had a tune-o-matic bridge paired with the classic tremolo
                          Which one was that? Sounds pretty neat

Comment

Fender's Modern Player JM is like that:

Click image for larger version  Name:	uy7idrxkls2bsikh0le4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.0 KB ID:	6103450

Click image for larger version

Name:	14297_1_ver1458810551.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	6103451

Comment

I'm kinda with Jeremy on the tuning thing I don't know what it is about these things but mine does need little tuning adjustments every song or so. I feel like it might be partly the way the bridge pivots, Or maybe using so much string length compounds the tiny effects of strings stretching and changing temperature, or something. In fact I went and bought my first locking trem guitar after having a JM as my only instrument for a while.

But yeah I love the wiring, the 1 meg pots help it go from no treble to crazy treble and in between is a lot of fendery sounds

That's why I hate when people in reviews play jazzmaster with stock wiring, and everything on ten and never back the controls off, you're missing out on 80%+ of the range of the instrument.

Comment

It was the Classic Player. 2017ish model.

Funny that this thread has become a Jazzmaster thread
                                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                                X