No announcement yet.

Jazzmaster, Strat, or Tele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** moved this and my next couple replies about installing a Jazzmaster pup into my Strat, to its own thread, since I didn't want to derail from Benjy's original topic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 08-14-2021, 01:32 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
      This thread, particularly the Wilco video that GuitarStv posted where the guy put a Jazzmaster through its paces, has inspired me to modify my cheap (but comfortable and well-playing) Squier Affinity Strat to have a Jazzmaster pickup in the neck. I'd rather do that than own a Jazzmaster guitar based on the downsides of the Jazzmaster body and design mentioned in prior replies in this thread (heavy weight, a bridge that has frequent issues staying in tune). Plus I really prefer not to add another guitar to my collection.

While I'm at it, I am also going to make this Strat a 4 pickup guitar and install a P90 pup, which is another pup I don't have right now (I've had two Prails installed on a different guitar in the past but they didn't stay). Starting from the bridge and heading up to the neck, I'll do singlecoil, p90, singlecoil, jazzmaster. The two singlecoils will allow me to still get traditional Strat Position 2 and 3 tones which I dont want to lose. I understand I will have to do some routing of the neck pickup cavity and the pickguard in that area to fit the Jazzmaster neck pickup but it shouldn't be too much or too difficult based on what i've been reading elsewhere online and plus me already owning a Dremel.

I also want each pup to be a noiseless design so it looks like I'll be getting Fralins for the JM and P90 pups. I've already got 2 different Dimarzio Area singlecoils on-hand for the noiseless SC need.

The tobacco sunburst Strat in the first pic is my Squier Affinity. The other pic of the olive colored Strat is a DIY hybrid where someone did something similar to what I described above.

I have to see these when they are done- make sure to post pics!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I have to see these when they are done- make sure to post pics!
        Definitely. But full disclosure, it will be a few weeks out at least. ive got 2 other guitar projects already in-process that I have to get finished up first.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
        X