Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazzmaster, Strat, or Tele?

Hello all.

I recently won a Mighty Mite neck on ebay that I didn't think I would win. It's a 25.5" scale neck with 22 jumbo frets, a birds eye maple board, abalone inlays, and a satin finish.

I have no real use for it, so I've decided to look at getting a body and starting a parts-caster build. I found Rosser Guitars on ebay and decided to go with one of their pine bodies with a thin, distressed, nitro finish.

Out of the bodies they sell, I decided that their hard tail strat, their tele custom, or their jazzmaster bodies looked the coolest. I can't decide, so I'll leave it up to you.

FWIW, I own a LOT of strats, all with trems, two teles; one a thinline and the other a solid body with a SM1b in the neck, and a Mustang, as far as offsets go. Vl
    Hardtail Strat
    28.57%
    Tele Custom
    28.57%
    Jazzmaater
    57.14%
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

i like the look of a jazzmaster but would never own one with that awful bridge. if a gibson style bridge and stoptail was an option, then id go for that

Comment

Hardtail jazzmaster, jazzmaster with a strat trem, or jazzmaster with a Floyd. The jazzmaster body is awesome to play on, lovely upper fret access and very comfortable both standing/sitting. I don't like the regular bridge though.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        i like the look of a jazzmaster but would never own one with that awful bridge. if a gibson style bridge and stoptail was an option, then id go for that
        There's a company that makes a bridge plate that turns that guitar into a hardtail. The ball end passes through and is anchored underneath, improving string angle in the process. If I go jazzmaster, I'd probably do that AND get rid of the goofy rythm circuit.

Comment

oh yeah, i dont need that crap either.

Comment

I voted jazzmaster because you don't have one. I love my jazzmaster. The electronics only consist of a single 1M volume pot. The pickups are antiquity 2 jazzmasters-just flawless tone.

I replaced the bridge with mastery. If the bridge hole is small it's a Japanese style jazzy. If big, US style. The mastery can be either. It immensely improved the sustain and got rid of the string slipping off the saddle. Tremolos inherently destroy sustain. If you don't use it I'd go hardtail.

Comment

A Jazzmaster shape with 2 humbuckers and a good bridge. Something that not only looks unique, but every part is a functional piece of the guitar.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                A Jazzmaster shape with 2 humbuckers and a good bridge. Something that not only looks unique, but every part is a functional piece of the guitar.
                I was thinking of leaving the pickups as jazzmaster pickups. I've never lived with them, but I enjoy tele, strat, P90, and filtertron sounds, so I assume I won't hate the jazzmaster soapbars.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

I was thinking of leaving the pickups as jazzmaster pickups. I've never lived with them, but I enjoy tele, strat, P90, and filtertron sounds, so I assume I won't hate the jazzmaster soapbars.
                  Yeah, they are their own thing But certainly a better bridge.

Comment

I disagree with this line of thinking. One of the reasons to own a Jazzmaster is because you've had your share of anything else. Why buy a cool guitar just to turn it into a non-reverse firebird?
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

I disagree with this line of thinking. One of the reasons to own a Jazzmaster is because you've had your share of anything else. Why buy a cool guitar just to turn it into a non-reverse firebird?
                      Most likely because it will work better. I am not for keeping features on a guitar that don't work well. The JM bridge is a nightmare.

Comment

Most likely because it will work better. I am not for keeping features on a guitar that don't work well. The JM bridge is a nightmare.
                        The Jazzmaster bridge is an excellent chance to learn picking and dynamic control. I'm among the camp of thinking that using varied styles of guitars even if they are "worse" forces you to enter into new ways of playing and thinking and as such are an excellent pathway to growth.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

thats nice, but i cant have some wonky piece of kit on a gig.

Comment

Having a guitar doesn't mean you have to gig with it. Ideal practice and performance require different tools is what I'm saying.

Comment

I really thought the JM bridge was dumb, until I owned a Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified Jaguar a few years ago. If you use a Mustang bridge rather than the all thread weirdness, it’s really cool, works well, and is similar to a Bigsby. All that extra string length behind the bridge really makes it feel different, too.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X