banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMG 25K Pot Good for Spin-A-Split, Yeah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 25K Pot Good for Spin-A-Split, Yeah?

I'm working up a new pickguard for a new build.
    I'm going to use a Spin-A-Split on the neck pickup (Fred).
    The bridge is going to be a Gravity Storm bridge.
    I read an older post by Clint 55 that recommended a much lower value for a better tapering effect.

The pickguard will have a master volume and tone and the S-A-S pot.

I have some EMG pots at 25K laying around.
    Would that be a good recommended value for a good Spin-A-Split taper effect?
    Last edited by Drak; 08-10-2021, 02:14 PM.

Yes sir. You must convert it to a no load pot tho. Otherwise the pickup will never be in full series. 25k no load pots will get you right into split-ish souding tones as soon as you turn it down. While 50k no load I have found to give the most gradual taper from full series to full split.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

If you're doing it that way make sure it's wired as a rheostat and not a voltage divider, otherwise the low resistance to ground will just cut off most of the signal from one of the coils. I use hard wired partial splits between 2.3k and 6.8k, so I'd actually recommend using a lower value pot, somewhere in the 10k range.

How exactly will the guitar be wired in terms of potentiometers and switching? In general I find having a spin-a-split on a guitar is much more useable, especially with lower pot values, if you use a switch and a pot in tandem.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Yes sir. You must convert it to a no load pot tho. Otherwise the pickup will never be in full series. 25k no load pots will get you right into split-ish souding tones as soon as you turn it down. While 50k no load I have found to give the most gradual taper from full series to full split.
        I figured it was just easier since I have the 25K's lying in a drawer already. Can I add a resistor to it to 'make it' a 50K?
        Thanks for the No Load reminder.

How exactly will the guitar be wired in terms of potentiometers and switching?
        Neck Pickup > S-A-S > switch > Master volume/tone
        Bridge Pickup > switch > Master volume/tone

Probably using a Schaller 'E' model megaswitch wired for 2 HB's.
        I have both 'E' and 'P' megaswitches here.

I use hard wired partial splits between 2.3k and 6.8k
        You mean you use two resistors (those values) hard-wired to a mini-switch to give you two pre-set 'points'?
        Last edited by Drak; 08-11-2021, 09:08 AM.

Comment

25k works fine. It only cuts off a little bit at the top of the sweep.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Drak View Post

You mean you use two resistors (those values) hard-wired to a mini-switch to give you two pre-set 'points'?
            Yeah. I just take a pot and play around with it until I find the spot that sounds the best, measure it, and then find a resistor closest to that value. Having a potentiometer to control a split is a fun thing to play around with and makes the instrument more versatile, but I generally find that there's one setting that sounds the best and after I find it I don't usually adjust it all that much
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
            X