Dial-A-Phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial-A-Phase

Is there any way to have a knob that performs a variable amount of phase shift using passive components, or is that not a thing?

are you speaking of out of phase pickups?
    wouldn't the volume control of the second pickup do that function?
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
      Is there any way to have a knob that performs a variable amount of phase shift using passive components, or is that not a thing?
      It can be done with passive components. But the amount of phase shift varies with frequency, so there will not an absolute amount of shift. The amount of shift will be relative to the frequency. I think active phasers correct for this and all frequencies are shifted the same amount.
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        are you speaking of out of phase pickups?
        wouldn't the volume control of the second pickup do that function?
        It would be similar, but I think he wants one end of the knob to be two pickups in phase, and the other be two pickups out of phase, yours switches between two pickups OOP and a single pickup.

Is it possible? Yeah, you could do it with a blend pot. Send the black wire of the neck pickup to the 1st lug of the top pot, send the second lug to ground, send the third lug to the volume input. Send the white wire of the neck to the first lug of the bottom pot, send the second lug to volume, send the third lug to ground.

How well would it work? I don't know, I've never tried it, nor has anyone else I know.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
          There's a long-standing "pot control based" method for doing that, that you may already have wired to work this way in your guitar without having to do any special wiring. That being, having individual volume controls for the two pups that are creating the OoP effect. Since the OoP tone relies on two pickups (one being wired out of phase with respect to the other) you can maximize that effect by having the volume controls for both pups set to 10, or soften that OoP sound by dialing down either of the two volume controls.
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 08-11-2021, 05:48 PM.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

It can be done with passive components. But the amount of phase shift varies with frequency, so there will not an absolute amount of shift. The amount of shift will be relative to the frequency. I think active phasers correct for this and all frequencies are shifted the same amount.

When I saw using passive components, I thought the goal was an on-board phase shifter. Wrong tree again. ...or maybe a sign I have been reading too many pedal topics.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Cool idea, seems a bit fussy and one-trick. Seems like you could get a similar effect by finding a point in your wah sweep that gets a sound you like. Not an exact replica of the sound that a dial-a-phase would theoretically get, but one that serves a similar purpose.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
              X