Like It or Hate It, This Is the Sonic Crayon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like It or Hate It, This Is the Sonic Crayon

Nearly done now, final clearcoats going on it.
    I used the Gotoh Floyd on this one that was recommended right here from another thread.
    Gravity Storm bridge, Fred neck.
    The rear cavity cover and truss rod cover are both Green Leopard as well.
    The third (bottom) control will be the Spin-A-Split for the Fred.
    There will be an EMG VMC control (think active parametric EQ) going on it, I haven't drilled for it yet.

This was a mashup of influences, primarily from Adrien Belew's earlier '80's guitars, a dash of Paul Gilbert, and a drop of George Lynch.
    The neck in the first pic is not the actual neck, which IS in the second pic and has a Sharkstooth inlay (looks very Jackson).

Click image for larger version

Name:	uuvS0zI.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	6103695

Name:	HuNDJg7.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	6103696

Name:	LtEwjS8.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	6103697

Name:	OqmVSi8.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	6103698

Name:	SRaaVAV.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	6103699

Golly!

If it were described to me, I am sure I would hate it. But this is actually really cool and unique!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

looks awesome! well done sir. where are you gonna put the 4th control? i think id just put a p/p on the tone to (partial?) split the fred and put the vmc as the 3rd control

Comment

I dig it. Reminds me of Clapton’s graffiti strats.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          looks awesome! well done sir. where are you gonna put the 4th control?
          i think id just put a p/p on the tone to (partial?) split the fred and put the vmc as the 3rd control
          It's going on the the body, on the 'seaweed', directly behind the blue knobs.
          Which is why it has both a front and rear pickguard.

Reason being, the EMG VMC is a double-ganged pot, one dials in the specific frequency, the other either boosts or cuts that frequency.
          So I have to use the knobs that come with it, which are the standard EMG kind of rubberized-black look.
          So that would look like ass on the guard itself, and since I cut a rear cavity for it, I can access the battery from there too.
          Killed two birds with one stone, as I really didn't want to access the battery by taking the front guard off.
          Or routing out a little box area on the back for one of those flip-out battery boxes.
          This way, I get some Green Leopard on the back too.

Last edited by Drak; 08-14-2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

totally agree on the battery bit. when i use actives in a strat i block the trem and put the battery under that cover so its easily accessible. and youre right, those knobs would spoil the look on the guard so i get where youre going

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              when i use actives in a strat i block the trem and put the battery under that cover so its easily accessible.
              I would have never thought of that.

I do have the Fred flipped around, which I think puts the hotter coil towards the neck.
              And the plan is to put the S-A-S on the cooler coil.

Comment

I like it

Comment

One of the cooler mashups I've ever seen. It's got like a Ernie Ball, Strat, Rickenbacker, Jackson thing going on; which I wouldn't have believed if you described it to me. Not sure I would have wanted a painted neck, but I can see that guitar wouldn't look right without it.

Comment

Danelectro meets ZZ Top.

Comment

Originally posted by JenkiLow View Post
                      I like it
                      Me too. A little understated, but nice.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                      X