No announcement yet.

Adding a Jazzmaster & P90 pup to my Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE: my order of an Allparts brand black Strat pickguard with no cavity or control holes arrived today. Part Number PG-0992-033.

Did just a rough fit-check for now, by laying it on top of the existing installed pickguard. No obvious issues with the fit.

Fralin pups still in the build process.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Pretty neat!
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
        Pretty neat!
        Thanks Benjy!

This project has committed me to doing a lot of routing in my guitar. I need to spend some time researching the best How-To methods so I get good results!

If anyone knows of webpages I should review that will educate me, please reply with the links below.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

The Fralin pickups arrived today. I was quoted 3 weeks, and they arrived early after just 2 weeks. I measured and tested them with my multimeter and each looks good.

Check out the two attached pics to get an idea of how these would fit into place on my Strat. Also note in one pic, the actual size of the humcanceling jazzmaster pup itself - with the cover removed.

That hum-canceling jazzmaster pup is tiny! So much smaller than a traditional Jazzmaster pup! The footprint is more like a mini-humbucker.

I see great new opportunities in how to mount this pickup into my strat based on this small footprint size. Seems I no longer have to mount the jazzmaster pup directly into the body, that i should be able to mount it to a pickguard, by changing this jazzmaster pup's baseplate out for a humbucker baseplate with short legs, or maybe a mini-humbucker baseplate with short legs, whichever is a better fit for the footprint of this jazzmaster pup. The new baseplate will need two holes with a center-to-center distance of [edit: 41mm], which the jazzmaster pup will get mounted to. If i can't find a baseplate that has two screwholes spaces that distance apart, i'll just mod the new baseplate myself with a drill to get two screwholes with that distance. Then acquire an SSH pickguard and enlarge the neck position singlecoil sized opening to be just large enough to fit this mini-humbucker sized jazzmaster. Then finally, use a dremel to mod the jazzmaster plastic cover to reduce its height by about half or maybe a little more so that the jazzmaster cover can simply sit over the jazzmaster pup and rest on the surface of the pickguard. To get that cover to stay in place, i'd drill holes in the pickguard for the 4 screws that are part of the design of the jazzmaster cover, and then install those screws through the cover into the pickguard. Wah-lah, done, should end up with a pickgaurd-mounted, covered jazzmaster pup in the neck position.

I'd also have to enlarge the bridge position humbucker slot to accomodate the larger footprint of the P90, and relocate the Master Volume knob because the P90 intrudes into the OEM space for the MV. But that also shouldn't be a big deal. Will look for if anyone makes a p90-singlecoil-p90 sized pickguard - as that would require less alteration.

Also thinking of foregoing install of the singlecoil sized humbucker as a 4th pup in the bridge slot. Think i'll start out with just the 3 pickups at first. Probably the thing that would push me later to incorporate that 4th pup in the bridge, is if i wasn't happy with the tone i was getting from the bridge p90 and Middle single for Strat Position 2 quack.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-18-2021, 06:16 AM.

Comment

On 2nd thought, using a Dremel to cut the jazzmaster cover might generate too much heat and warp and/or melt the cover,, since the cover is just a thin plastic. I'll probably need to use a small hacksaw instead.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-18-2021, 06:17 AM.

Comment

I missed it yesterday, but spotted it today: that small jazzmaster fits in the space btw the two mounting screws of a singlecoil pup. See pic. So, I don't even have to change baseplates on the jazzmaster; instead i can mount the jm onto a singlecoil base [edit: apparently not called a "base" but a "flatwork"] and use the screwholes in that to mount the whole thing to the pickguard. Things are lookin' easier going forward.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-18-2021, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Order for Strat flatworks piece has been placed. Ebay seller.

Comment

I like where this thread is heading!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Time for an update?

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by zionstrat View Post
                      Time for an update?

Yes.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

More pics please. More update please.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Hey guys,

Things have gotten busier at home with renovations and busier at work, so my hobby time has changed. So I've had to re-prioritize which of the multiple guitsr mod projects I had started, that I want to continue. Sorry to say this isn't one of them. I figured out that for me, having a Strat setup with more traditional Strat sounds is more needed and wanted, than the alternative sounds this project would yield.

Hopefully the info and pics I posted regarding my ideas for how to hang a Fralin jazzmaster pup from a Strat pickguard - and cut the pup cover to sit on top - will be helpful to anyone else considering this kind of mod project.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 10-27-2021, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X