Gruvgear alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gruvgear alternatives

Anyone had success dampening strings behind the nut using alternative materials? Seems like the Gruvgear stuff works well, just a bit pricey. I've tried velcro cable ties and my wife's hairties with not much success.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Hair scrunchy
    packing foam
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

A chunk of foam works really well. I like those pick Wedgie things, too, since you can stick a couple extra picks in them.

Mandolin players often stick little rubber grommets between the strings, which look cool. That works really well for between the tailpiece and bridge, as you can adjust where they sit for maximum damping.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I'm playing around with some weather stripping, the small cylindrical kind. Seems to work okay. The G still rings a bit behind the nut, but the strings are holding it in place pretty well. Can't hear the ring amplified, but I play unplugged a lot so it's nice to dampen that.
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

I have never had this issue, so I am fascinated by the phenomena. What does this happen? Is it a lot of gain and a lot of volume? I've never had this happen, but I don't use that much gain.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I have never had this issue, so I am fascinated by the phenomena. What does this happen? Is it a lot of gain and a lot of volume? I've never had this happen, but I don't use that much gain.
            If you pay attention when you're playing unplugged on any guitar with substantial string length behind the nut you'll notice sympathetic string vibration. The three treble strings on a strat without a string tree for example
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

It doesn't come through the amp. Minor annoyance when strumming unplugged.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

If you pay attention when you're playing unplugged on any guitar with substantial string length behind the nut you'll notice sympathetic string vibration. The three treble strings on a strat without a string tree for example
                Huh, never noticed.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

that only happens on inline headstocks
                  and only on High strings

in my experience anyways
                  thats why I have moved on to 3x3 headstocks
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                    that only happens on inline headstocks
                    and only on High strings

in my experience anyways
                    thats why I have moved on to 3x3 headstocks
                    If you've got a JM or a longer tail piece guitar it'll do it too
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Last week I gave this dampening product a try that I had acquired a while ago but never really demoed till then. This one sits in a way that it abuts the nut and it has quite a bit of height to it, so my index finger on my fretting hand was repeatedly brushing against it when fretting notes on the first fret. It felt "in the way". I like the alternate ideas mentioned earlier in this thread, like just using a small piece of weather stripping.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        The two times it’s a problem for me are high gain metal rhythm guitar, and playing bluegrass mandolin. Both are very staccato, and the sympathetic ringing sticks out like a sore thumb.

It’s actually a bigger deal for me with the mandolin. Deadening the strings behind the nut and bridge makes the offbeat chop chords much punchier.
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                        X