Slides... NGD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slides... NGD

I used to play a lot of slide and have a student who is ready to learn.. so I ordered a small menagerie to see which slides are still working for me and the results are pretty understandable....

My Reverend loves the Dunlop. It's logical because it's lightweight chrome over steel so its easy to play with relatively low action with medium strings. The Reverend has a lot of sustain.. great for standard tuning.

My Parker night fly is enjoying the heavy glass fender... It has even more sustain than the Reverend, it's strung with 12s so it doesn't need a lot of mass in a slide. And it's also happy with standard tuning.

And my 61 Les Paul/SG loves that monster piece of Fender brass because it has relatively little sustain.... I've got a first fret insert that cranks the action up and the only challenge is remembering that the strings have shifted a half step North.

It's all mahogany so it's happiest with open tunings... sometimes I actually have to cut the mid-range with that little beast.

Probably the biggest surprise, not having played much slide in the last 10 years, is that I'm using third and fourth fingers interchangeably. Fourth finger was always cleaner and left me more free fingers for fretting, but for some reason the third has become more lively..

I've made it back through the wobbly period and I should probably go record everything that needs to be recording while I'm back up to speed :-)

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Love playing slide and trying new ones. My favorites are the plain heavy wall Pyrex. I have both D’Addario and Dunlop and can’t remember which is which.

My overall favorite is the Rock Slide. It has a tapered interior and a little knuckle cutout, super comfortable, and more mass on the business end.

Ive always played in standard or drop D with my normal electric setup. Was listening to Sonny Landreth last night, so I’m thinking it’s time to dedicate a guitar to heavy strings, higher action and open tunings.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Brass always seems to sound best to me on acoustic, but honestly I'm happy with anything that fits snugly on my little finger.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Brass and Porcelain are my favorites. The Joe Perry Boneyard is one of my all-time favorite slides but since it's Porcelain, I don't use it at gigs. That's where the Brass comes in.

Comment

Well my student was very happy. The heavy glass fender worked wonderfully with his tele and I had fun reviving old licks.

I doubt I would do well with any of the shorter slide lengths but I'm very interested in the one that you twist to regain use of a finger. Any suggestions on that type would be useful.

As I mentioned before I kept switching between 3rd and 4th fingers and both worked rather well to the degree that I might just keep slide in my full-time repertoire.

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Working...
          X