Temporary finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary finish

I've been reshaping this Tele boat neck and playing it off and on to make sure I like the shape. Ideally Ill do this over a couple of months - want to get it right! - and then take the neck off to do a proper finish. I am wondering if I should put some kind of "temporary finish" on it for this time to protect it while I play it... Or just wipe it down after playing . The neck is maple.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Sanding sealer
    vinegar
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I did this several times. i used shellac. Easy to apply, all finishes bond on shellac.

I found it useful to determine the thickness of neck on the first and 12th fret from start. I also checked the straight line between this two points during the process.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

You can use wipe-on Birchwood Casey gunstock wax like Music Man uses. When you are ready to finish it, you can just sand it off with 600 & 1000 grit sandpaper.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Got it. Thanks!
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

If you are going to be sanding down into the wood to shape it you don't have to worry about doing temporary finishes. The wood's plenty stable without finish. None of my guitars have finish. The only reason why you would want to do a temporary finish is if you were worried about getting dirt down in the grain that couldn't be fine sanded out. But since you're going to be rough sanding down into the wood to shape it, it will be fine bare until you decide to do your final finish.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Like Clint, I wouldn’t be too worried about protecting it.

However, I would put some Burt’s Feed & Wax beeswax on it, simply because it feels awesome.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
              X