Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dummy coil: which make & model?

First time shopping for a dummy coil. Please recommend some candidates

I'll be using it wired to a Spin-A-Split control for use with a Fralin neck Jazzmaster pup, and a Fralin soapbar bridge P90 pup.

I'd prefer tbe dummy coil to bein the footprint of a singlecoil pup, because I would like to attach it to the underside of a Strat pickguard, parallel to the 5 way switch. But I anticipate some feedback may be that the footprint should closely resemble the footprint of the coils that its being paired with, so I really should use a P90 or Jazzmaster sized dummy coil instead (?)

I also have two Squier singlecoils on-hand and could remove the magnets from one of those if you think that it would work well with the Jazzmaster and P90.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

i think taking the magnets off the ones you have and just stashing them under the pickguard would do the thing you want to do
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The resistance needs to match, but the footprint doesn't matter so much, in my understanding.

Illitch will make one to match your spec'd pickups and they can apply it to a pickguard or other vibrato scratchplate/cover.

There's also options like these things:

Music Man Albert Lee and Silhouette Special dummy coil
      Among the many technological innovations that Ernie Ball Music Man has brought forth in our 30 plus years making instruments, one of the most important is the development of our patented silent cir…

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        i think taking the magnets off the ones you have and just stashing them under the pickguard would do the thing you want to do
        Thanks Ed!

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          The resistance needs to match, but the footprint doesn't matter so much, in my understanding.

Illitch will make one to match your spec'd pickups and they can apply it to a pickguard or other vibrato scratchplate/cover.

There's also options like these things:

Music Man Albert Lee and Silhouette Special dummy coil
          Among the many technological innovations that Ernie Ball Music Man has brought forth in our 30 plus years making instruments, one of the most important is the development of our patented silent cir…

Didnt know about the Music Man product- will look into it - thanks!

Comment

Yeah, that is the Music Man one I have used, and it was fantastic. It uses a 9v battery.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Before you go through all the trouble of installing a dummy coil, just consider a few things.

A passive dummy coil adds impedance and will reduce the high end for all pickups that it is used with. As you mentioned, it won't be perfect noise canceling either. If you want an active circuit it's going to be more expensive and require a battery.

A simpler solution is just to shield the guitar itself and the pickup covers. When you shield the pickup covers make sure you don't do a full closed loop, because that will bleed off high end.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
              X